PT27.S4.Q02 - the average cable television company

babybennybabybenny Free Trial Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 156 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-27-section-4-question-02/
I was stuck between B and C (I thought both could be answers) and finally chose C. But the answer is B. The more I looked into, the more I had no idea why C was wrong.
Can anyone explain me why B is correct and C is wrong?

Comments

• SoCal JaporeanSoCal Japorean Free Trial Member
    147 karma
    I'll take a wack at it Benny.

Strengthen Stim and it says: Cable = 50 channels. Fiber Optics = 100 to 150 channels for the same price. Conclusion -> Cable will be displaced by Fiber Optics (which are offered through phone companies).

The BIG gap is: Just because you have more channels, doesn't mean that they are better in every way. Fiber Optics might just carry low viewership channels and channels that are cheaper, like 150 reality show channels. Some of the other Gaps are: Fiber optics might not be available in places where there is existing cable. Fiber Optics might require other services that make the cost of service way above the cost of having cable. Stim also assumes that Cable will not adjust their plans and costs in reaction to Fiber Optics.

With that, let's go to the answer choices.

C) says, Cable television companies will respond to competition from the telephone companies by increasing the number of channels they offer.

That actually weakens the argument. The argument is saying that cable companies will be displaced by Fiber optics.

B) Says that the most popular movies and programs will be carried by both cable and Fiber Optics.

That strengthens the argument by plugging the big gap in the argument. If there is a lot of overlap in the channels that are available to both; then the argument is more strongly supported.

Hope this helps.