Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newer Preptests vs. Old

farle072farle072 Alum Member
edited June 2018 in General 17 karma

So I was getting 166-169 on older preptests (50 and older), and I just took Preptest 75 and I got only a 162. I feel so defeated, sine the newer Preptests I'm assuming will be much closer to what the current LSAT is like. Particularly RC seemed much harder, and LR seemed a bit tougher too. Does anyone agree/disagree? What are the biggest differences? I'm worried because I'm just starting o move into the more "modern" tests and I plan on testing in July.

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Well, at this point I'd say not to sweat it too much. :smile: It is true that a number of people find the more modern tests to be more challenging, particularly RC. However, I wouldn't be too quick to infer too much from a single score. Sometimes a particular test just sends us for a whirl. :neutral:

Were you able to identify why this test came as more of a challenging during your BR process?

• UrbanNerdUrbanNerd Alum Member
    12 karma

I agree, RC is harder on the newer tests. I realized the same thing after doing a lot of older tests and then transitioning. Then several sources like these forums and The Thinking LSAT podcast confirmed it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

The PTs in the 70s have crushed my soul smh

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Yeah, I Heard that the newer tests are harder - forums and people confirmed this.
    Mainly I'm hearing RC is harder I personally didn't prep with the older tests ( although 7sage ) uses older PT in some of their explanations, I haven't touched 72-81 just bought it on amazon, but I'll probably be using it from this point on, since it's the newer bundle and I'm also taking in july.

HOWEVER .... if we looked at all the tests and compared easy and hard is relative to your personal strengths and weaknesses ...

Take it in july, but prep with the new material from this point on we still have more then a few weeks

• Qualia88Qualia88 Alum Member
    175 karma

I assume its somewhat easier to study for the test now as opposed to 15 years ago given new resources like 7Sage and more material to study from. Given that they are keeping the curves the same with X percent of people scoring over 170, it makes some sense that newer tests would be a bit more challenging. That's been my experience at least.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    edited June 2018 503 karma

Personally I don't believe the newer prep-tests are any more difficult than the older ones. I think that the ways in which the test writers craft incorrect and trap answer choices has changed a bit, and depending on your weaknesses that can result in lower scores once you jump into the 70s.

My PT avg dropped 6 points when I first started taking PTs in the 70s, but after a few deep blind review sessions and an untimed exam, I became more familiar with the new 'tricks' LSAC was using to get me and began scoring higher than ever. For example, I believe LSAC now likes to use tons of abstract and referential language in ACs to confuse test takers -- moreso than they did before. These used to trick me, but now I know how to be more careful.

Highly recommend everyone takes a look at J.Y.'s post in this thread:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/93280