Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited October 2014 in General 2074 karma
Logical Reasoning seems to be the bane of my existence. I WAS scoring in the 158 range, but as preptests go on, I only sit in the range of 150-151. I scored a 150 this morning.
I took some time to really know the Logic Game section when my score started falling. When I was at 158 I was scoring -5 to -10 on LG, but today I scored -2.

I know my Reading Comp sits anywhere from -6 to -10, so I know that that might be the thing that stays constant. I can work to improve upon it, but I don’t anticipate any mass improvements in it. I still do actively read passages, and additional reading on my own.

Okay. So Logical Reasoning. I have tried going through past lessons and doing past questions, but I find now that I know the answer it’s hard to really just look at the reasoning behind it.
During the exam, I can feel myself rushing through every question. And I feel now, after reading a comment in the discussions, that it might be because I’m not focused on getting the question right I’m focused on answering all the questions.
The last prep test, out of 52 Logical Reasoning questions, I got 24 wrong. Which is really a determinate. I got almost the exact number wrong on this exam I took this morning.

Can anyone provide me with some help? I’m taking an LSAT prep course over the weekend, so I hope they’ll help with my understanding of some questions.

I am going to BR my exam today, focusing on the LR sections first, but I want to know what you think would be the best method for studying moving forward? What is your best method for conquering LR?

I study part time. In the morning from 7:00-8:30, lunch from 12-1, and after work from 5:30-8:30 PM. So all-day studying methods aren’t useful for me, unfortunately.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Well I will start with addressing something I read(cant remember where) that when working with LR and really grasping the questions it is not abnormal to see a drop in accuracy bc your breaking down your normal look on logic and replacing it with LSAT logic so instead of an instant swap its gradual and so your score decreases (not the best explanation so I hope that makes sense to you) and hopefully this is the case and your about to start acing LR in no-time :p
    I would also work on your mental state while doing the test. The rushing to answer all questions you mentioned isnt what you want... if you answer them all but half are wrong what good is that? its better to only get to say 20 and have all those be right and have to guess on 5. how is your LR untimed? try a section w.o timing and if you get most right than you know its the rushing thats getting to you, if you're still dropping the ball then you know you have to dig deeper into the questions your getting wrong to find out why you're getting those wrong.
    Hope thats some sort of help
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    When I do the sections in BR I can get -5 on them. So maybe you're right on the mental state issue! So when I go into an exam, should I try and do 20 and then, if I have time, go into the 5 "harder ones" (which I deem hard at the time)?
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    IMO I wouldnt say to shoot for anything in particular. Just do what you can while focusing on getting them right. Limit yourself so you're not taking 5 minutes on each question but if you instantly got the answer, take a second to make sure its the right one and you didnt miss(read) something. if your staring blankly at a question and cant figure it out, circle the best looking answer and skip it and go back if you have time at the end. I used to have a similar issue where I would worry about the clock too much and rush through, I'd get them all in, barely bc I would be trying to get them all in which would make me rush through stimuli and not grasp it-being counter-productive bc I would have to keep reading the same thing and then still get the answer wrong. Now I dont worry too much, just try to get them right and try not to stare at one question for too long and often I have a few minutes to try and go over tough questions...(just need to work on accuracy, though I just joined 7sage and enjoying the videos so hopefully itll allow me to find what I need to in the questions quicker)