Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law school options limited by spouse's job

So I'm leaving active duty next year, but my husband is staying in the military until retirement. He has limited location options for his assignments, which unfortunately really limits my law school options as well. My question is, should I make some mention in my "Why School X" essay about how family circumstances are part of the reason why I want to attend that school? Or is just a really bad idea to even mention that?

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'd mention it, but try not to make it the main focus.

You do want to do everything possible to convince them you want to attend which includes telling them they meet a criteria for you their competitors don't.

On the other hand, you also want to let them know that you have fallen in love with their school a little bit and that you have thoroughly researched it.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

From one retired vet to a family of vets, thanks for your service.

My family is in a similar situation. When I retired, we moved to a new city and happened to find a great school for our daughter and a job my spouse loves. So our chances of moving, while technically greater than 0.00%, are very slim. My list of applications is going to be greater than 5 but only 2 (in the city that I live in) have a real chance of me enrolling. While I don’t plan on putting that down in any of my essays, I will be open and lead with, “You mean besides my mortgage?” when someone askes me why X school during my visits at those 2 schools. I do have actual things about each school that I will bring up and talk about but location is a significant factor in my decision and that will be part of the conversation as well.

FWIW, they will see your address on your application / resume, so they will know you are local.

• Alyssa VAlyssa V Member
    14 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Thank you for the tip! It does feel like a fine line to walk. I want them to know that my chances of enrolling in their school are very high, but I also don't want to sound desperate.
    @LSAT_Wrecker Thank you for your service as well, nice to get the advice of other vets in the same boat :smile: My address for some of the applications won't actually be local, since I'm applying in advance of our move. My husband should find out his next set of orders around October and then we'll be PCS'ing around June of next year. I've been able to visit two of the schools that I'm applying to, but the other school I will definitely not be able to visit in advance (expense + new baby).

• brizzle525brizzle525 Alum Member
    139 karma

Hi, I'm in a similar boat. My husband is active duty, and we are overseas, but heading back stateside in May 2019. It will be our last base before retirement, but I'll still be at the mercy of wherever the Air Force sends us. This is good info to know for putting together my applications! Best wishes to you!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

First, thank you (and your husband) for your service. Second, I wouldn't mention it. It could make the admissions committee wonder if you will need to transfer in the future.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

I think I would mention that someone in the family has a military commitment and that is a factor in list of schools you are applying to. I don't think true service to our country ever can hurt you. Being the spouse of a servicemember is very difficult. It will show the adcomms that you are not a kid playing around.