PT14.S4.Q20 - Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite

Hi All,

Having serious problems with figuring out this question. E is the right answer, but I chose B. My thinking for B is that it may have been a coincidence that all three times Monroe had eaten at Tip-Top, was already ill beforehand but was not obvious until after. So having not eliminated this possibility, I thought, was the flaw. Although i can see how E works, I am still not entirely convinced and definitely do not feel it is a better answer than B. Can anyone please explain to me how they went about thinking about this question?

Thanks!

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Hi @catherine-1 , the first sentence states as fact that Monroe became ill after each meal. Therefore, there is no need to ascertain that the presumed cause preceded the presumed effect since it's certain that the illness occurred after the meals which makes answer B incorrect. Furthermore, there are several indicators in the stimulus that hints E as the best answer. In the first sentence, we find out Monroe has "a generally poor appetite," but then he eats "an extra large sausage pizza," "all-you-can-eat shrimp," and "giant meatballs." E solidly puts the argument in doubt since we know that each meal was gigantic, especially for someone with a small appetite.