Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low GPA

Hi All,
I'm in a bit of a unique position. I'm wondering what the impact of my low GPA would be. I have a 2.83 undergrad GPA and a 159 on the LSAT. I also have a severe disability which can partially explain my low GPA, and depending on who you ask makes me an underrepresented minority. I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools and I'm having a hard time figuring out which schools are safety schools, which schools I'm competitive at etc. What does it look like to admissions when your GPA is well below the median but your LSAT score is above it? When your LSAT score is around the median? For what it's worth, I'm interested in a very specific area of law (health law) and I care more about a school having a good health law program than it's overall ranking and selectivity. Also, I feel as though I could've done better on the LSAT. How much of a difference do you think it would make if I took it again and maybe scored a few points higher? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I just want to caution you against picking a school because it's known for or highly ranked for a particular area of law. It's much better to select a school based on its overall ranking because 1) you might change your mind on the type of law you want to practice and 2) rankings besides USNWR don't really matter that much.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Few questions to answer here . In terms of the low gpa / disability you could account for this in your application but don’t make it the sole focus . For Lsat - you can definitely improve and a few points can make a difference (but do you have the time and resources for this ? ) I would recommend upgrading and maybe bringing in a tutor as a last resort . Try to go for a holistic school that meets your requirements, Best of luck