Law School Applications - Extremely low GPA

scotb38scotb38 Alum Member
edited January 2014 in General 6 karma
Hello, I recently completed an undergraduate degree in mathematics (At McMaster University in Canada) and finished with a GPA of around 1.9. There are various reasons why I under-performed. Some are legitimate medical reasons, but it is mostly my fault for being lazy and unmotivated. I have recently gotten really motivated by the LSAT and feel that I can score 175+ (I scored 167 on my diagnostic). Can I get in to a law school? Can I get in to a GOOD law school? What can I do to make my application look better than it currently does?

Thank you!

Comments

• Consider This...Consider This... Alum Member
    6 karma
    I know of two people with a low GPA and a high LSAT score. The only difference between the two is that the former immediately applied for law school after having graduated from college, and the latter applied for law school after having accrued extensive work experience. The former got accepted into St. John's (and got wait listed by many other schools), while the other got accepted into few top-tier schools, including one T14 school. Not to say that you will have a similar fate as one of them, but this is just to give you an idea of how admissions look at splitters. Remember, you can always transfer!
  • Rasheed N.Rasheed N. Free Trial Member
    65 karma
    You can get into VERY good schools with a 175+ regardless of GPA. Some want that LSAT median boost and will accept you in no time. Some of these may even be T14.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2014 3658 karma
    I agree with Rasheed. Remember what JY said about LSAT scores. It is the single most important factor for law school.

For further information take a look at the TLS forum. They have tons of related threads pertaining to that very question.

Here's the link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/
  • scotb38scotb38 Alum Member
    6 karma
    Thanks for the encouragement. Does anyone have any advice for other things I can do to make my application more attractive? Should I write an addendum? Should I pursue certain extra curriculars? Should I get a part time job?
  • mrlsat180mrlsat180 Alum Member
    edited January 2014 118 karma
    You can definitely get into a law school in the US but even with a 177 it's unlikely you'll get into any Canadian school in the regular category with that GPA. I would actually study and get that 177 first if I were you and then apply very broadly to both US and Canadian schools. If you had medical issues you should definitely let them know and apply in the "special consideration" category. Of course you should write an addendum and do ECs. You'll need every bit of help you can get.

Your diagnostic of 167 is very impressive to say the least so you probably will get that 175+ but GPA is kind of a big deal too for Canadian schools. It also depends on how your grades are distributed. Some Canadian schools focus on your best/last 2 years.
  • zhenderszhenders Free Trial Member
    228 karma
    With a strong LSAT, there are definitely some T50 schools you will have a shot at -- but understand, a 1.9 isn't passing in the eyes of many universities. That absolutely killer LSAT will be a must-have. Study hard.
  • zhenderszhenders Free Trial Member
    228 karma
    And -- you will almost have to write an addendum for that score, but whatever you do, do NOT gear it towards "I was lazy but now I'm not". If there are legit medical issues, focus on that.
  • red416416red416416 Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    @scotb38 , what ended up happening? I'm in the same boat as you now as I apply to law schools (higher GPA but not as good LSAT score) - I wonder if I have a chance?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @scotb38 said:
    Thanks for the encouragement. Does anyone have any advice for other things I can do to make my application more attractive? Should I write an addendum? Should I pursue certain extra curriculars? Should I get a part time job?
    Hey man, sorry to hear about your GPA problem. An addendum will help.

First and foremost, if you are serious about law school, make sure you work on getting an extremely high LSAT. I'm talking 175+

That said, I'll be honest, I have never heard of someone getting into an accredited school with a sub 2.0 GPA. I wouldn't say all hope is lost, but I would do some research to see what schools will accept you and if they are worth attending.

Good luck!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Damn, that three year bump. All of these guys haven't logged in for 3 years, fyi.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Seeing that "Inactive Mentor" makes me sad. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, but I imagine eventually everyone logs on for the last time. I wish it were something more like "emeritus." Retired, but allowed to maintain titles and certain privileges. Plus, it just sounds dignified as shit.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    but I imagine eventually everyone logs on for the last time.
    Really crazy and sad to think about that huh?
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I wouldn't say all hope is lost, but I would do some research to see what schools will accept you and if they are worth attending.

Good luck!
    I wonder what happened to this person...feels like I'm traveling back in time with this post lol esp. seeing they haven't logged back on in 3 years. Kinda creepy tbh haha.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    I have a similar issue with a GPA around 3. I determine to take LSAT unless I am ready and fall in 170+. Some T14 schools take students with high GPA(170+) with low GPA. You can find it on law school number website. Wish you good luck and try your best.
  • MsStateLSATMsStateLSAT Member
    105 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I wonder what happened to this person...feels like I'm traveling back in time with this post lol esp. seeing they haven't logged back on in 3 years. Kinda creepy tbh haha.

I hate to be "that guy..." but that person probably just gave up on the idea of Law School. They just made that one post and it appears that they didn't even log back in after responding a couple of times. I mean, I guess they could have prepped with another company and just never looked at 7Sage again, but that seems unlikely for someone who went out of their way to make an account and join the community here.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    @MsStateLSAT I didn't realize this post is from three years ago.
    11542 karma
    @MsStateLSAT said:
    I hate to be "that guy..." but that person probably just gave up on the idea of Law School. They just made that one post and it appears that they didn't even log back in after responding a couple of times. I mean, I guess they could have prepped with another company and just never looked at 7Sage again, but that seems unlikely for someone who went out of their way to make an account and join the community here.
    Yeah, it's easy to think that, I just like to be optimistic lol.
  • MsStateLSATMsStateLSAT Member
    105 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Yeah, it's easy to think that, I just like to be optimistic lol.

Hey, someone has to be :) Maybe he just graduated from Harvard and is in Biglaw now. Who knows! He could be reading this post in his Gulfstream at 30,000 feet.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    That is a really tough situation. It is even worse because you can't go get a masters degree with that sort of GPA. I will say that with a 165 or so, you MIGHT be able to get into a mid tier law school and most likely a lower tier school like Charleston Law or Cooley
  • helenharrishelenharris Alum Member
    72 karma
    Wow I really want to know what happened to this person. But a 167 for diagnostic? It could probably end up with a 180.
  • sweetalison007sweetalison007 Free Trial Member
    48 karma

No way you can go and redo your GPA?? Is it possible? Less than 2.0 GPA essentially means you have failed. Does Canada allow students to retake graduation?

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1184 karma

@sweetalison007 said:
    No way you can go and redo your GPA?? Is it possible? Less than 2.0 GPA essentially means you have failed. Does Canada allow students to retake graduation?

This is from 4 years ago and in the future comments you may not want to further emphasize how low one's GPA is when they seek advice. OP stated in the title extremely low GPA, I am sure he is aware. He doesn't need to feel worse about it by somebody telling him he "failed".

This discussion has been closed.