Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Aunt/Uncle write you a letter of recommendation

keeganhowe2keeganhowe2 Alum Member

I have an aunt/uncle who graduated from a specific Law School I'm applying for. They were very accomplished at this school and have gone on to become very successful in there career. My question is it proper for this person to right me a letter of recommendation for this school, or possibly another one? If this person is happy to help is there any part they can play in helping my admissions process?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited July 2018 3652 karma

no. thankfully, nepotism doesnt work for LORs. LORs should be from professors who can speak on your academic success. admissions wants to know how you'll do in school, not who you know.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Agreeing with @"surfy surf". There may be a spot in the application where you can mention you know an alum and how you know them, though. If not, you can mention at a visit.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

I would just slide the information into why you want to attend that law school. The good news is that any type of nepotism is a factor within the law school, not the general university. Like Penn's website specifically says that if you have a parent who went to Penn Law it will be considered, but not any other Penn school. I also don't know if an aunt or uncle will matter, or if it's just your parents who can make a difference. Either way, just stick it in your essay somewhere.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Absolutely. Family members always have the best things to say.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2531 karma

Don't include if they were merely successful alumni. If they were a dean at that specific school then maybe, but that's still pushing it.