Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to test and when to apply?

gaflparalegalgaflparalegal Alum Member
in General 133 karma

So I’ll admit that I always seem to rush things once I finally get started. I graduated with my AS degree back in 2000 and now I am finishing my BA. I started classes this summer with a full load and hope to be done in 18-24 months.

I’ve been focused on trying to take the LSAT in January 2019, but does that even make sense? If I can’t apply until after summer 2020 at the earliest does it make sense to try and test so soon?

Maybe I should focus on classes and studying as much as possible right now, and test next summer- which would give me plenty of time to re-test if need be.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

For me personally I focused on school then Lsat. I can always retake the lsat .. but I can’t go back and retake classes that easily (cost / time / effort ) I had a full course load and worked so if studied for the Lsat too I would burn out . Know your limits , but you know yourself best . If you want to know how you would do use the proctor app , take a timed pt and score it .

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2531 karma

You’re in a great spot. Instead of having the mentality of “I need to take the LSAT in x month because I apply in y month” (like most students) you can take the necessary amount of time to prepare.

I’d study as though the next test deadline is the one you are going to take. Mentally “postpone” if you feel unprepared. This way, you won’t fall into the mindset that the lsat is 1-2 years away and be lazy with your prep. Have a sense of urgency with the test and take it as soon as possible, given that you’re PTing 4+ above your target score :)

• gaflparalegalgaflparalegal Alum Member
    133 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme Thank you!! That makes perfect sense and you are so right...I have been looking at it wrong. I also know that if I think about waiting until say next summer, I will have the mentality of just pushing prep off for now.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@gaflparalegal said:
    @Ohnoeshalpme Thank you!! That makes perfect sense and you are so right...I have been looking at it wrong. I also know that if I think about waiting until say next summer, I will have the mentality of just pushing prep off for now.

That’s what happened to me and I’m paying the price. I knew I had a year to study and I got lazy. Now that I have to take the test ASAP (once I’m ready) my prep has been so much more meaningful and intentional.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

@gaflparalegal said:

That’s what happened to me and I’m paying the price. I knew I had a year to study and I got lazy. Now that I have to take the test ASAP (once I’m ready) my prep has been so much more meaningful and intentional.

Don’t you wish we could rewire the flight or fight that comes from deadlines lol