Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difficulty focusing

Hmohamed11214Hmohamed11214 Alum Member
in General 6 karma

Hi guys. I am scheduled to take the July and September test and I have been studying since January. My biggest current problem seems to be that I can't focus to save my life. Practice test are harder just cause my mind wanders consistently .I will read a question stem and then I'll have to read the premise multiple times for it to stick and I'm wasting valuable time .recently I've had the urge to just skip to the LG section just cause it's easier to focus on and work .I have like a month and a half left and I really want to pick up the pace and focus on improving.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

There’s a lot that needs to be addressed here. First, don’t take the test because it’s scheduled, take because you’re ready. It sounds like your involving some of the macro-stress into your PTs and it’s distracting you from learning. Second, it’s ok to move to LG once you finish the CC but it’s important to take everything in the CC in the order provided. Third, and you’ll hear this all the time on 7sage - concentration is about routine, diet, exercise and meditation. I was in the same boat as you, the combination of those things plus exposure to the test has helped greatly with my concentration issues.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

• mariev22mariev22 Member
    57 karma

Yes to everything said above!

I would also add being more mindful and careful about your phone.. If you're anything like me, I feel random urges to check it and social media for no good reason. It's so easy to lose track of how often we break our focus or interrupt what we're doing to check our phones. I believe that being better about resisting this particular focus-breaking habit will help!

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

Sounds like burnout to me.

I'm in a similar situation. I've been Studying since March and I am writing in July and September.
    I'm taking tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday off. It's more important that you are 100% for game day. After the July exam I am taking another solid week off.

You've done everything you can for the July test, take a break.

If your focus is regularly an issue, work actively to make it better. Treat your focus like a muscle, and exercise it. Use a timer and dedicate 5 minutes of your hardest focus, then take a break, and work your way up. When your studying if you find your self in being distracted, or unable to comprehend, stop. I repeat stop. The LSAT does not reward this way of thinking. You need to figure out what you can do to get back into the proper state of mind. Go for a walk, drink some water, call it quits for the night, anything. One hour of quality study time will benefit you more than 8 lousy ones.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Allow yourself to take a short break to do something mindless like watching a tv show. When you get back into studying, you'll likely be able to focus better. Sometimes, our minds are just begging us to put the pencil down. Also, make sure you are sleeping enough! Exercise can help improve concentration as well.