Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual citizenship

egrivera2egrivera2 Alum Member

Hi! Sorry in advance for the very specific question. I am a U.S. citizen and am currently in the process of applying for Colombian citizenship (both of my parents are from Colombia). If granted citizenship, I will have it before I apply to law schools this Fall. This might be a silly question, but I am just curious, does having dual citizenship hurt against you for law school admissions? Are there any negatives (or maybe even positives?) of being a dual citizen? I am living in the U.S. and will be throughout the admissions process.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma
  • Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

To add to your Q - do you have to disclose dual citizenship?? @"David.Busis"

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9382 karma

I don't think so. You are a U.S. citizen so you will not require visa sponsorship (I-20) from school, which means you won't count as an international student.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

1 I don’t think USA recognizes a dual citizenship with Colombia. You would have a US citizenship, and a Colombian citizenship. There’s a diff between having a dual citizenship and having 2 passports.
    2 no effect whatsoever. I don’t recall any place on the applications that required me to mention my other citizenship.

• egrivera2egrivera2 Alum Member
    44 karma

Thank you for the responses! Very helpful information.