Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When do I draw stuff out for a Logical Reasoning question?

I am having a hard time recognizing when I should draw out the argument structure to help me with the question
(A---->B ect...)
When do you decide it will be most helpful to visually represent the argument structure to help answer the question?
Is it rare? Or almost every question? Certain question types? Or should I eventually do it all in my head?

help

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

This is very dependent on you and how you can best keep track of arguments and logic. Check out this Webinar for a bit of a deeper dive: https://7sage.com/webinar/when-to-actually-diagram-in-lr/

• el_wonderel_wonder Member
    11 karma

Thank you! @"Lucas Carter"

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2531 karma

It's great for un-timed practice and for learning the fundamentals of SA and PARA questions but in timed conditions you shouldn't be diagramming. I've been told, and have confirmed for myself, that intuition is often the strongest tool. Spending that much time on one question just isn't worth it, even if you end up getting it correct.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 1777 karma

Are you already timing yourself, or are you still learning? For me, I write out the lawgic during parallel questions-- especially parallel flaw. Otherwise, I'll only do it for questions I'm really struggling with (IF I think it will help). I always skip these questions first, though.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

With some Sufficient Assumption and MBT questions, I think you have to do it because there's just too many variables to keep in your head---the LSAT writers do it that way on purpose to confuse you. Other than that you just have to find what works best for you.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I usually diagram even basic stuff for parallel reasoning, parallel flaw, or SA. Or sometimes I just circle the two key items vigorously that need to be connected. I think it depends on you and trial and error. I've found my accuracy is lower when I don't diagram because it's hard to keep it all in my head. And if those extra 10 or 15 seconds help then why risk it.

• el_wonderel_wonder Member
    11 karma

@samantha.ashley92 Iv gotten through Core Curriculum and I used diagraming throughout to help me understand the concepts along with JY. Now that I'm onto full timed practice tests, I'm looking to see when/if its most helpful to use diagraming during certain questions (if at all) under testing conditions.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Like some of the above have said, it can be very helpful for parallel reasoning questions. I also sometimes bracket the conclusion of an argument if the stimulus is particularly wordy or difficult to understand. It help to hone in on what the argument is really trying to do vs. getting lost in the weeds of confusing words.