Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bubble Trouble

Sue Doe NimbSue Doe Nimb Alum Member
in General 183 karma

Hi everyone!
I know this is not a new topic, but please indulge me nonetheless. I've had back to back Prep Tests with a misbubbled answer choice...not the way you want to lose points. I've tried to sub-vocalize as I write down answers, but I guess it isn't working. Any thoughts as how to minimize bubbling errors? To clarify, I currently bubble two pages at a time (each page is marked on the answer sheet in separate glances at the test book).
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Bubbling errors are the worst! When you subvocalize do you state the question number and corresponding answer choice? Otherwise, maybe try to bubble after a page.

• Sue Doe NimbSue Doe Nimb Alum Member
    183 karma

Thanks Kermit750. I think saying the question number would just complicate matters more. One page at a time may be the way to go. However, the omniscient JY said we shouldn't do that!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I always bubble after a game, after an RC passage, and before I have to turn the page in LR. I’m also terrified of bubbling errors. It might be a few seconds slower to do fewer questions at once, but I think it’s worth it!

• Watermelon OtterWatermelon Otter Alum Member
    345 karma

Personally, bubbling one page at a time for LR worked pretty well for me. Since each page only contains a handful of questions, I found it easy to subvocalize the letter ACs and then bubble them in order quickly and with no mistakes. Even if I had to skip a question I would just choose some AC and bubble it just in case I couldn't return to it. For LG and RC I would bubble after every game/passage to keep my momentum going during it.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    I always bubble after a game, after an RC passage, and before I have to turn the page in LR. I’m also terrified of bubbling errors. It might be a few seconds slower to do fewer questions at once, but I think it’s worth it!

I do EXACTLY this and it works really well. The only errors I've made was at the end of a PT section where I forgot to bubble that last page.

• jhbm_nycjhbm_nyc Alum Member
    edited August 2018 568 karma

In one of the live commentary videos, JY advised bubbling after each two-page spread, with your right hand bubbling in the scantron and your left hand pointing directly to the question you're bubbling in (if you're right-handed; vice versa if left-handed).

I've found this to be the best way to bubble. I bubble 2 questions at a time (1 at a time becomes too tedious, and with 3 at a time I've made bubbling errors). It's fast, accurate, and allows you to take deep breaths with each page turn.

For questions I skip, I put a slash on a letter in the scantron to remind myself to come back later. By the 30-minute mark, I make sure every question has a bubble filled in.

• Sue Doe NimbSue Doe Nimb Alum Member
    183 karma

@jhbm_nyc thanks for the tip! Have been doing approximately 4 answers per a glance at the test, could be the culprit of my bubbling mistakes.