Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just can't master Logic Games

tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
edited August 2018 in General 770 karma

Hey guys, so I just can't seem to gain mastery over LG, despite my trying and trying. The issue is timing, obviously given enough time, I can get most of them correct, but I just can't seem to do them at the 8-9 minutes allotted for each. Actually, doing a game in that amount of time seems pretty much impossible to me, unless it's one of the really easy ones.

If a game is simple enough where I can make tons of inferences on the game board, then I don't have too much trouble. I can just set up different game boards for different scenarios, and then answering questions are easy at that point. But this goes for everybody else, I assume.
It's when I set up a game board, and I can't make a lot of inferences from the conditions given because there are too many different scenarios. Then it just becomes a time sinkhole, where I try to brute force through the questions, but then time always catches up to me.

I don't know if I should just raise the white flag on LG at this point, and instead focus all my attention and time on LR and RC, as these aren't as much of a roadblock to me as LG is. Focus on my weakness, or try to strengthen those areas that I'm better at. Don't know what to do.

Comments

• Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
    edited August 2018 389 karma

My advice to you is to focus on your weakness, first and foremost.

I'll share my process with you when I hit rock bottom with logic games: I first took stock of the types of games that I found particularly difficult. I did this during the CC and made a "master copy" of each logic game that give me even the slightest trouble. I then watched J.Y.'s explanation for the game and proceeded to redo the game 4-5times in a row, untimed, repeating all of the inferences he made. Once I felt confident that I perfected the approach, I wrote a little instructional outline (sort of like an answer key/walk-thru guide) for the game and stapled it to the back of the question sheet. This outline detailed my reasons for each inference made, a breakdown of each question, and a written description for why each AC was wrong or right. After completing my master copy, I set the game aside, returned to it a week later, and timed myself doing it. In the majority of cases, the same inferences came to me instantly. Some games, though, still gave me trouble. In these cases, I rigorously redid them 4-5 times and repeated the week-redo process. By doing this review process, I found that I was able to make more upfront inferences on new games and that I was able to envision the game-boards quickly. In turn, these improvements bettered my timing.

I implore you not to throw in the towel on LG because it's the section in which people tend to make their greatest improvements. I'm living proof of this. Trust me: believe in the process of revision and you'll master logic games in no time!

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Awesome, thank you for that guideline. I will try it out as well. Thanks!