Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closing the gap between BR and raw score

ShernitRonesShernitRones Alum Member

I'm writing in September and was struggling to get PT scores that I was happy with. I was consistently getting in the mid 160's on my PT's but my BR would always be above 170. I was missing most of my points from LR and RC. I skipped PT 50-59 so I could use the LR drills and they made the world of difference. On top of drilling at least one LG section every day of the week, I've been doing 4-6 LR drills a week on days that I don't take PT's (I do 3 PT's a week). Now I'm getting in the 170's. To other people in the same boat, I would say focus on keeping your LG above -2 and try to scoop as many of the LR points up as you can. I usually go -3 to -8 in RC, so I'm still trying to stabilize that and get it down by a few points, but by far the easiest points to rake up are the LG and LR.

Another big thing for me is the mental game. I've picked up guided meditation every morning using the app Headspace and regularly practice breathing and body awareness exercises throughout the day. They help me block distracting thoughts and focus on the task at hand. Taking 30 second breathing breaks during a section is really helpful for me if I start to feel overwhelmed/rushed. Before I write a PT, I sit at my desk and do nothing from 8:30-9 (check in for me is 8:30 and reports of my test center say the test doesn't usually start until at least half an hour after that). During that time I try to make myself feel as anxious/nervous as possible, and then spend the last 10 minutes mediating it away. Picking up a habit before writing the tests can be a really good thing. Something that you can do before writing each PT to get you in the right mood. I do the meditation thing. A good friend of mine who got into the 170's last year would go for a walk around the block every time before writing. Just a quick thing you can do to remind your brain that an LSAT is coming up and it's time to get serious. Almost like Pavlovian training for your head.

Anyway, hope that helps! Keep grinding and putting in the time. Anyone can succeed.