Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Music While Studying?

GenevieveGenevieve Alum Member
edited November 2014 in General 53 karma
Hi all--

I wanted to ask about people's take on listening to music while studying.
I study more efficiently while listening to Tchaikovsky or Mozart, but realize that we will be taking the LSAT in silence.

For this reason, I'm considering shutting off my music as I do not want it to affect me on my actual test day. What are your takes on this? Has anyone had to deal with this yet? Thanks!

Comments

• 131 karma
    I like some soft music when reviewing; however, I try to mimic test conditions when doing preptests and practice problems, so I turn off the tunes then. But I will say I have found great benefit in taking PTs in various atmosphere (e.g. coffee shops, planes, libraries). So if I guess used to taking PTs in noisy environments then-as long as an atomic bomb or such doesn't drop in the vicinity of my testing center- I will be more used to the silence during test day. I hope that helps!
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    Definitely not PT - only if studying (and even then I'm not sure). No words - love Mozart, Tsaikovsky idea
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @Genevieve I recommend using a noise generator, like the test taking apps that are out there, or some noise track from YouTube if you think you need sound while studying. Derek and Quick are correct to point out that you don't choose your background sound during the test... and I agree with their conclusion that you shouldn't be listening to music during your studies.

Here's what I listen to when I'm PT'ing.
    I've not tried it while studying (learning a new question type or something) but I do use it while drilling a section or question type.

HTH
  • danielkeithusdanielkeithus Alum Member
    21 karma
    If you study more effectively with music then play music. This like any test you have ever taken will not have music. If you want to play two chains, play two chains. If you like Fall Out Boy, listen to Fall Out Boy. Whatever helps you understand the material while you are learning do it. When you do Prep Tests simulate conditions.
  • GenevieveGenevieve Alum Member
    53 karma
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • jaruiz924jaruiz924 Member
    13 karma
    John Coltrane on Pandora is my go to LSAT study music.
  • cpetrancpetran Alum Member
    28 karma
    I love The 'Trane... his Village Vanguard sessions are truly the best... but for LSAT study ? For me, Coltrane is too distracting.

I prefer ambient background music for studying the LSAT. Try Brian Eno.

There's a website / phone app which mimics the background noise of a coffee shop without actually hearing any specific conversations - https://coffitivity.com/

I agree with some here in this thread who suggest background noise is essential for your prep test - the "library noise" youtube clip that joegotbored posted is perfect. There's going to be noise during your actual test (coughing, pencils dropping... the lonely student in the back sobbing at the realization that all hope is lost...) so you should be ready & able to tune that garbage out. Prepping in dead silence ain't gonna prep you for life during the real test.

• ad.kenh99ad.kenh99 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Best Music For Studying Concentration And Relaxation |Study Music Alpha Waves
  • sumbal.gilanisumbal.gilani Free Trial Member
    3 karma
    I haven't started studying for LSAT yet but from past experience of studying for university classes I have found Western Classical Music to be a great cognitive enhancer.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    You need to study in an environment where your cognitive functions are performing at their peak because you will need to grasp concepts fully if you are to do well on this test. That said, as you pointed out, the test itself will be taken in complete silence. Therefore I would suggest that you train yourself by working with your music on and testing in complete silence or in a library with a bit of noise etc.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I listen to music for motivation before and after studying but not during. I find it distracting regardless on the genre. But I have been trying to do my PTs in a library and with the proctor app with distractions turned up.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    yeah I would be weary of studying with music, I mean personally I dont think I could concentrate but thats just me lol, just make sure you dont listen while taking a PT
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I have conflicting thoughts on music....
    I think, if you do listen to it often during your studying/PT, then maybe that might give you an edge during the exam. If you can get a great score with music, then you could get a great score with all the distractions on test day :)
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    eh not necessarily, if you get used to music/noise and it happens to be real quiet you'll screw yourself and get crazy distracted by the smallest thing
  • hrjones44hrjones44 Alum Member
    323 karma
    yeah coltrane is way too distracting for me, as a fellow musician, i wanna focus on his playing which is immaculate.....very distracting.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    It all really depends on you. Everyone is different. But you just want to make sure that you mimic what test day will be like. Also, when you take the lsat there will be distractions such as people being sick blowing their nose, coughing, people tapping their pencils, and other little noises that you will not be able to control.