Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Focus while studying

brianb589brianb589 Alum Member
edited October 2014 in General 15 karma
I'm not sure if my question has been addressed, if so, could someone send me to the proper discussion. My question is for those who are shooting for 170+. Would it be more beneficial to focus on knowing how to answer each question type or should I focus on mastering all the "Lawgic" and being able to go back and forth between the language. I feel being able to handle lawgic sufficiently will help take the burden off having to know a certain way to answer each question because you will be able to answer the question intuitively. Is that a good thought or am I way off base? Thank you for any help I get ahead of time.

-Brian

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    It's not an exclusive 'or', it's an inclusive 'or'. :)

You have to be able to do both until it's both passive and has minimal mental drain on you. Good luck Brian! :)
  • markushageylikmanmarkushageylikman Alum Member
    48 karma
    You need both 100%. I'm not quite at 170 right now, still 8/9 points away, but my score has progressively gone up as I have gotten better at identifying different question types and knowing how to attack them, as well as simply understanding the logical reasoning that underlies most of the LSAT. Plus, question types that characterize the LR sections of the LSAT are what make up all of the questions in reading comp/games. I struggled for a while with reading comp, and still do, but ever since I began attacking the reading comp questions the way I would attack LR questions, my score has improved dramatically.

My best advice is to master the 10-16 question types that are prevalent in LR (I say 10-16 because different courses will identify a different number as some like to group similar question types under a broader category). By master I mean know how to identify the question through the question stem/prompt with seconds of reading it, and then know what you have to do before even reading the stimulus. For example, if its a strengthening question with a cause and effect relationship in the stimulus, you are looking to prove that the cause produces the same effect elsewhere or that the effect cannot occur without the cause, etc. Similarly, if you have a necessary question, you have to be able to visualize the gap that is missing in the argument and that needs to be filled in. Once you do that, then its time to exercise your understanding of logic and choose the answer that is best suited for whatever it is you are trying to do.