Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minor in possession, No criminal charge, Should I write Addendum?

Hello All,
I'm torn because my minor in possession of alcohol is only on my academic record. I had to go before a disciplinary board. All I had to do was participate in some therapy sessions. It was my freshman year, first semester back in 2013. Im looking at the admissions lessons and they all seem to target actual criminal charges. Think I need an addendum?

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

I would err on the side of disclosure regardless. It's best to have all the details out, than have one withheld information hold you back.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

That is definitely addendum material if you ask me. It's easily explained but if left unexplained and discovered, it makes you look bad.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Whether or not you have to disclose depends on the wording of the application's questions, but I'd agree with @Kermit750 that it's generally best to disclose. I really don't think you need an addendum though. I feel like that would just draw more attention to the fact. Most people will probably shrug it off because it was five years ago and seems like an isolated incident.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Can you disclose it without writing an addendum? I haven't submitted any apps yet so I don't actually know. If you can explain it sufficient in the character and fitness portion then no need for an addendum.

• blah blahblah blah Alum Member
    edited August 2018 111 karma

I think some apps ask that if you have a C&F disclosure to make that you submit/upload a document/addendum to do so, others just simply have a text box I think. In either case you need to disclose, unless the C&F on that particular app specifically makes an exception.

If the app just has a text box for C&F disclosures, then it doesn't strike me as something worthy of having another addendum.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Every school words their C&F questions differently. Most will ask if you've been formally disciplined at a school you attended, and in that case you would definitely need to say yes and disclose it. If you haven't checked out 7sage's Admissions course, the $10 add on is so very worth it! There's a great section in it on how to handle C&F disclosures. But when in doubt, disclose.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

I'd err on the side of disclosure. But as others have said, I would avoid a full-blown addendum if possible; you don't want to make it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

Either way you have my sympathies because these situations show the inanity of US drinking laws.