Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should I take the July lsat? I scored above my practice pt in June. And afraid I might go down

LsatmindedLsatminded Member
edited June 2019 in General 54 karma

I scored a 164 on my June lsat, which I’m content with but of course would be nice to score higher. I was practice testing at 160-163. On the actual exam, I had -9 reading comp(usually my stronger section), -5 logic games, and -4 logical reasoning. Not sure if those sections were easier than normal and reading comp was harder. Anyways, I registered for July as a backup. I haven’t studied since taking the June exam. So it would really be me just taking a random shot. I studied for a while (6 months but also some time 2 years ago) before June and already have a cancel on my record from 2 years ago. Besides my lsat score, I have a really strong background besides that (top school, graduated with honors etc). Should I take a shot at the lsat in July despite doing above my practice test or just sit this one out? How bad would a another cancel look? I’m not sure I’d want to take it again after the July too. I already registered for July and can’t get a refund

Comments

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

I don't think another cancel would look bad. Law schools are only concerned with your highest LSAT score and plus there could be a reason you canceled the July exam - since it's the introduction of the digital format. Don't worry too much about that and just go with your gut

• hannahcohannahco Member
    43 karma

I don't think another cancel would look bad esp since July will be introducing the digital. Plus if you do choose to cancel you have the option of a free retake which you can study for and potentially improve your score a few months down the line. If you're up for it, I'd say take the July!

• LsatmindedLsatminded Member
    54 karma

Thank you both! I think I will retake then. I was just really worried cause I saw online that over one cancel looks really bad. I wish I had started studying again after the June lsat :(

@jasminesade said:
    I don't think another cancel would look bad. Law schools are only concerned with your highest LSAT score and plus there could be a reason you canceled the July exam - since it's the introduction of the digital format. Don't worry too much about that and just go with your gut

@hannahco said:
    I don't think another cancel would look bad esp since July will be introducing the digital. Plus if you do choose to cancel you have the option of a free retake which you can study for and potentially improve your score a few months down the line. If you're up for it, I'd say take the July!

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I don’t think schools care as much as people think. There are many reasons one might want to cancel their score. Ultimately all they care about is your highest score. Definitely start preparing for July!

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

Im pretty sure the July test you can cancel the score if you don't like it with no repercussion, which is why it filled up crazy fast. I cancelled my June score because I knew I didn't do as well as I wanted and registered for the July one. As far as the July test it's a win win situation. Its basically like a free test drive, if you don't like your score, cancel it.

• LsatmindedLsatminded Member
    54 karma

I guess the repercussion I was afraid of was the “cancel” they’d put on the record. Wish they didn’t add that :(

@DivineRaze said:
    Im pretty sure the July test you can cancel the score if you don't like it with no repercussion, which is why it filled up crazy fast. I cancelled my June score because I knew I didn't do as well as I wanted and registered for the July one. As far as the July test it's a win win situation. Its basically like a free test drive, if you don't like your score, cancel it.

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@Lsatminded Oh I didn't think they still put the cancel on the record lol... my bad..