Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diagnostic score June 2006 PT

diontretdiontret Alum Member
in General 80 karma

Okay, I took the Powerscore course which seemed to work pretty well. I end up scoring a 155 on the June LSAT. I was unsatisfied with my score so I asked somebody who took the same class what they did to get in the 170s. He suggested the Powerscore was a good course but that they left out a lot of information the 7 Sage covers. I took some time and have been working games using JY's method. This month, I enrolled in the 7 sage course and I've been working diligently getting through lessons. I took the optional diagnostic test and I scored a 145. I almost died seeing that score so low. I have definitely been internalizing everything I have been learning after seeing that diagnostic. Changing the way I think to conform to how the LSAT expects you to think. My first question is should I be worried that I scored that low? My second question is should I be taking prep test and blind reviewing during the 7 Sage course.

Comments

• diontretdiontret Alum Member
    80 karma

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that my goal is a perfect score. I need to get in the 160s first though.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

Two things. First, stop internalizing that score. Have you completed the CC? Really go through the lessons before PTing, I would even suggest doing sections first. If you are past that stage and are ready to pt, then understand that pts fluctuate. That test might have not suited your particular strengths. Blind Review that test and then return to the CC. I would also advise joining a BR group as that helped me over the hump quite a few times.

Secondly, please do not strive for a 180. Trying to get a 180 will lower your actual score. Remember to get the low hanging fruit first and do not be afraid to skip questions. There are webinars on skipping as well as BR groups. For the next month, do not worry about your score. Score-chasing will just stop you from really dissecting the PTs you take and soaking in the material.

I hope this helps!

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

First of all it's not bad that you scored a 145. It's not ideal but I scored a 147 on my diagnostic so I've been there. Best advice I can give you was already said. Don't aim for a 180. Aim for a 155. Then Aim for a 160. And keep moving closer to that end goal. I found progress is nearly impossible when you're trying to make massive jumps. Focus first and foremost on doing a PT properly and circling any questions you weren't at least 80% confident about. Then, BR thoroughly and really try to get to the bottom of those questions. If your BR score is a 158 then you know you have no business doing PTs and you need to get back into the lessons to review fundamentals and do drills. I was stuck around 158-160 for at least a month. Once I really started BRing properly and learned to find my weaknesses I found progress came a lot faster.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

Yes! Set short-term and long-term goals for yourself. You got this!

• diontretdiontret Alum Member
    80 karma

Thank you guys for your comments! They have gave me a lot of insight on the approach to take.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    454 karma

you got this! honestly its definately not worth thinking about how much ground you need to cover, all that matters is that your constantly moving forward. Just focus on the next question, the next tactic or lesson, or the next preptest, and forget about the end goal.

Also worth noting that sometimes better strategies can actually bring your score down before they bring it up. Formal logic, for example, will slow you down at first but helps you in the long run. Trying to introduce the "chart" into logic games will likely cause more harm than good until you get good at discerning when to use it. same with splitting or skimming while you read, etc etc.

Just dont get discouraged and focus on what's in front of you. And obviously, study hard.