Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Academic ref.

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
edited August 2018 in General 905 karma

Hello everyone hope y’all are well - for my references I need an academic one (I had one in mind but I’m just seeing if I’m going to go through with it ) that being said I’ve started to look at back ups. I have a prof who offered to do it but no longer teaches . Is that fine ? Looking for opinions

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

That's fine as long as they can speak to your academic capabilities and potential to succeed in law school.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@eRetaker said:
    That's fine as long as they can speak to your academic capabilities and potential to succeed in law school.

That’s what I figured just wanted to make sure thank you

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2531 karma

One of my letters was from a professor that transferred schools to a different country. I expect this is fairly common practice.

Also a tip for getting LOR's from a professor that you don't know super well is to ask them to write a letter that is focused on a skill that they would have noticed in their class. This can be asking an English teacher to focus on the strength of your writing ability. Just give them something to write about and explain why they are the best professor that can do that for you. It will be easier for them to start writing.

Also a teacher that is retired will still probably have a template for LOR's. If they do, it might be helpful to ask them if they can include details about your performance relative to your peers. Was there anything unique about your performance in the class? etc

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    One of my letters was from a professor that transferred schools to a different country. I expect this is fairly common practice.

Also a tip for getting LOR's from a professor that you don't know super well is to ask them to write a letter that is focused on a skill that they would have noticed in their class. This can be asking an English teacher to focus on the strength of your writing ability. Just give them something to write about and explain why they are the best professor that can do that for you. It will be easier for them to start writing.

Also a teacher that is retired will still probably have a template for LOR's. If they do, it might be helpful to ask them if they can include details about your performance relative to your peers. Was there anything unique about your performance in the class? etc

Thank you

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes, should be fine! It doesn't matter where they work now, just that they can evaluate you as a student.