Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worried in crunch Time.

jvosevenjvoseven Alum Member
in General 8 karma

I take the Lsat in about a week. I haven’t scored over a 148 yet! I’ve been doing blind review, I’ve been through the videos which are great and really help. I’ve been studying since March. I’ve used a varsity tutors tutor who actually introduced me to 7Sage. I am very worried however. I just need to score a 150 to get into the school closest to home (University of Montana.) I know I am a very qualified candidate with a great resume and background, I know that I will will my way to graduation if I get my foot in the door, and i know that Law School is going to be tough, but I just cannot seem to put it all together when I take the this test. I really don’t know what to do. Am I crazy for doing this? I don’t want to ever doubt myself. I’ve taken almost 20 practice tests now, when does it click? I started this journey thinking that if I put the work in then I would be super successful. I have never worked so hard and diligently in my life but when I take this test all my practice and studying seems to get lost I feel tired like I have no control over my thoughts. Again I am worried and I guess I’m just venting, but this is a big deal to me. I had a really high paying job working as a finance manager at a big auto company and hated the fact that I wasn’t really helping people. I want this so bad I am willing to do what it takes but this is just so frustrating to work so hard and not see the results I want. Granted I am so much better than when I started but it’s crunch time and I need to get it together. I’m goimg to buck up and continue to study and practice up to the test and do my best. Whatever happens happens but I will not give up.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2531 karma

I think you need to postpone, find a tutor, and restart the CC. It’s tough but I guarantee that you can score well above 150 if you do this.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

I would definitely do the CC over again. Can you delay? I know it sucks, but it will be well worth it.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

To echo the sentiments above, if your target score is a 150 and you haven't surpassed that on PTs, I would give serious consideration of delaying / canceling your test next week.

If it makes you feel any better, when I started this journey over a year ago, I thought a few months of studying would be enough to get me where I wanted to be. After taking my first PT, I quickly learned that it would take longer. Fast forward to toady, I'm sitting next week because I'd be happy with my PT average on a real test score (something I have yet to accomplish). But I am also considering totally redoing the CC and delaying yet another cycle to put up a score that I know will get me into my top choice school.

Either way, good luck. Know that it does take time but that you will get better the more work you put into it.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Definitely agree with what the above posters have said. Also, the University of Montana has a median LSAT of 154. 150 is their 25th percentile. To have a really good shot you want your GPA and LSAT to be over the medians.

• jvosevenjvoseven Alum Member
    8 karma

My wife’s gonna kill me if I postpone. Lol. But I see what your saying. By CC you mean the course right?

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

Usually I tell people to pull the trigger and take a shot on test day. Schools only want your highest score and you can always have a good test day and score well above your average. In this case however, I think it would be wise to delay.

I've made the same mistake of doing PT after PT in the week before the LSAT - it doesn't work. You will only burn yourself. Doing PTs in the hope of getting good score doesn't increase your chances of a score at all. I would delay, as you can still take it later in the year and still be accepted to next cycle.

Recalibrate your strategy. If you still aren't scoring at least a 150, something isn't clicking. Go over the CC again. Drill. Pace yourself. I know there is an urge to learn it all and learn it now through more hours, but I've found that to be very counterproductive. Learn a little bit each day, and then sit on it. Keep practicing. Do one section out of a PT and BR. See where you went wrong, and go back to the CC. Drill. Repeat. Give that process a few months and I think a 150 is easily attainable.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

stop taking tests and see what you're doing wrong. If you're scoring below 150 and finishing the test, you're simply doing way too much questions. 20 tests isn't really a lot. There are people who do every single test (80+) more than once

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@jvoseven said:
    My wife’s gonna kill me if I postpone. Lol. But I see what your saying. By CC you mean the course right?

Yeah it's my fiance who I'm worried about. hahaha. She'll understand though. Just make sure you're giving her as much of your time as you can! And make sure you're not worried/thinking about the LSAT when you spend time together.

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

I was scoring below for quite some time and then took a few days off (to defrag and process) and rewatched some of the videos from the CC (esp LR) and the free study videos on Khan Academy (free prep thru LSAC). I took the July test to figure out where I stand but was only initially planning to take the Sept test. I’m glad that I took the July test bc I was able to see what test day is like. I have since then dramatically improved my score. So I say, go for it and just take the Sept test and see what you get. You can keep studying while waiting for your score and take November if need be.