Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving score on timed PTs?

inactiveinactive Alum Member
edited November 2014 in General 12637 karma
Hey 7Sagers, got a question I thought you could help me answer! Here it is:

Would you please give me some suggestions on how to improve my score on timed PTs. When I take timed PTs, my score ranges 140-145. However, when I do blind review or take double time (such as 70 min instead of 35 min), my score goes up to 155-160. I have already taken about 15 PTs.

Since English is my 2nd language, I don't rush to under the stimulus better. If I rush a little bit, I miss a question for a little mistake, which I can avoid if I don't rush on it.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2014 2116 karma
    I would highly recommend using the Cambridge Packets to drill your weaknesses.

LR: For LR, this bundle breaks down PT 1-38's into the different Question Types
    http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/logical-reasoning-by-type/

LG: This bundle breaks down the PT 1-38 LG's into Game Types
    http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/logic-games-by-type/

RC: Here's all the RC's from PT 1-38 broken down into 4 subjects (Social Science, Humanities, Legal, Science)
    http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/reading-comprehension-by-type/

Edit: I would stay away from Timed PT's for a bit. Recent PT's are a limited resource and you want to save them for right before the test date.
  • samuelrobert.brown88samuelrobert.brown88 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    I was in the same boat as you a week ago. The way I got closer to my BR scores was not worrying about time so much... Meaning not worrying about getting to every question. Once I focused on going slower and getting the ones I know I can get right and making sure they were right I found my score went up. I know I'm not gonna get a 180, I focus on getting a 157-160 so I focus on being as sure on the 20 easiest questions of a section and then blindly guessing by putting the same letter whether it's all C or all D and hoping I get 1 or 2 of those right by luck.

This may not be the best approach to everyone but it's working for me. That is if your goals are similar to mine. When I worry about time too much, I find I get questions wrong that I normally would never get wrong because I freak out and speed through them.

Hope this helps
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    *Edit: I would stay away from Timed PT's for a bit. Recent PT's are a limited resource and you want to save them for right before the test date.* STOP TAKING PT's!!!!! lol if not even breaking 160 in BR there are serious fundamental issues that need to be addressed before using up the limited PT's
  • MsAnniePMsAnnieP Alum Member
    11 karma
    _Samuelrobert.brown88_ is right: Not focusing on time for now is important. Guessing also helps, believe it or not. It reduces some of the stress and allows you to work on more difficult sections first (in LR, Qs 1-10 are generally the least difficult, 20-26 are next, and 11-19 are often the most difficult. In Games, the 3rd one is typically the hardest.).

Additionally, do sections SEPARATELY--either timed or untimed--rather than entire PTs so that you can work on your worst and best areas. Then once you begin improving in one, you move on to another without having to focus on many different sections and ways of thinking at once.

I bought a Traciela LR book with questions grouped by type and it was super helpful (and relatively affordable). There are a bunch to choose from: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=traciela

Try to avoid studying from the really early tests as some of them have issues. Maybe do 30-something and above. LSAC has a lot of PT books now w/more recent PTs: https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/PublicationDetail.aspx

Lastly, read complex pieces of literature in English (The Economist or The New Yorker magazines are good) and listen to English as much as you can. Take lots of notes from JY's classes. Translate random things you hear/see into Lawgic--that's a cool exercise I enjoy. Look up EVERY word--from the LSAT and elsewhere--you don't understand at first. Get accustomed to the way the LSAT uses language.

English is also my second language but I've been in the States for 12+ years and have even be a Writing Tutor so while I might be more submerged in the language/culture than you, there are still a few moments where I trip up, so I hope my tips help.
  • Vriver01Vriver01 Alum Member
    60 karma
    I'm in the same boat as the original post, so I am definitely gonna try and incorporate these strategies for the next two weeks.
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    Dude, don't worry. I am in the same shoe as you. English is my second language and I've only been to the States less than 3 years. My first and second PTs are not that satisfying too. Trying reading the Economist like you do RC. We need to make our brain activated in English as much as we can.