Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strengthen Questions and Weaken Questions

Martin. TMartin. T Alum Member

Hello All,

I'm concerned with my performance with Strengthen and Weaken Questions. I am struggling with these two question types to the point where I'm getting every question wrong for them. I'd tried to adapt to the technique of finding the assumption from stimulus but that just doesn't work for me. I believe that I'm thinking to hard or I'm becoming confused with how I can find the assumption. The weird thing is that prior to learning this technique I found strengthen questions to be the easiest question type to answer. Can someone provide me with an alternative technique or may help understand I can overcome this difficulty with the assumption technique.

Comments

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

Hey. In my head I tend to think, what makes the conclusion more relevant for str and less relevant for weakening.

I would suggest going back to the curriculum and re doing relevant sections. Indicate premises, conclusions, context. Even if you know what the right answer, write out why each other answer is wrong, and why the right answer is right. Then take note of what the comment section says (sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not) and take note of what JY wrote.
    Also write out an analogous argument. If you can do this, then it shows that you actually understand the argument.
    Also study flaws, and make a list of new ones that pop up. knowing flaws and valid forms often can be the key for figuring out what can be lacking from the argument

TL;DR do less questions, but understand them 100% before you move on.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

Check out Nicole Hopkins' webinar here on the site. I had similar issues and with her webinar I was able to reduce my errors.