Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did 7sage change the way it does elimination questions and the order it does "if" questions"?

brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
in Logic Games 432 karma

I noticed that they started going to the elimination question right after each individual rule rather than doing it after going through the rules as a whole and thinking about deductions. Why did the process change?

Also, what do they say about doing "if" questions first on LG? recent videos seem to be doing that. is that a change from previous process? if so, what is the reason for the change?

thank you.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@anonclsstudent said:
    I noticed that they started going to the elimination question right after each individual rule rather than doing it after going through the rules as a whole and thinking about deductions. Why did the process change?

Yeah, I really love this approach and I think it represents an improvement. For me, it makes me pause and work with each rule a bit, and that is much better than just writing out a rule without needing to think about it. By adopting this method, I gain a deeper understanding of the rules, guard against careless errors in making my rule list, and start the game with one question down!

Also, what do they say about doing "if" questions first on LG? recent videos seem to be doing that. is that a change from previous process? if so, what is the reason for the change?

For me, this depends on a lot of different factors. I would rarely go through and pick these out to start with, but I definitely might read a non-if question and decide it would be better to return to at the end.

The presence/absence of "if" questions frequently drives my approach to a game actually. If I look and see a bunch of "ifs" then I know it's probably not worth my time to split a game board, for example. In these situations, our game board is frequently one rule away from that beautiful cascade of inferences, and seeing lots of "if" questions shows me what they're doing. Each question on these games provides a different "one rule" which will force out the inferences. So I don't want to split on arbitrary guidelines when I know the test is going to be informing me about which boards I'm going to need.

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    edited February 2017 432 karma

Thank you. The approaches I mentioned in the original post seem to be new...there was no explanation by JY as to why we were changing things up from prior videos.

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

@anonclsstudent @"Cant Get Right" when you say "the elimination question", are you talking about "acceptable situation" questions (where four incorrect worlds are listed and one correct world is listed)? It sounds like an interesting strategy. Are there any videos that show that approach?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Yeah, this was about the acceptable situation question. I'm not sure which videos might show this, but maybe @anonclsstudent will remember where they saw this?

424 karma

thanks @"Cant Get Right"! @anonclsstudent do you happen to remember where you saw the approach of working on acceptable situation questions while reading through the rules?

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    432 karma

@partyondudes said:
    thanks @"Cant Get Right"! @anonclsstudent do you happen to remember where you saw the approach of working on acceptable situation questions while reading through the rules?

@partyondudes you should be able to see this new approach in the most recent LG videos. for PT80 and i think for PT79 as well. compare those to the videos for PT50, 51, 52, etc. you may see that the "acceptable situation" question is done differently, and that jy goes to "if" questions first now.

424 karma

interesting. thanks @anonclsstudent!