Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR ethics question

Hi everyone,

One of my letters of recommendation is coming from an elderly retired lawyer who was clerk of the circuit court for almost 30 years. The catch is that he is very nervous around technology. He's old school and even wrote out court dockets by hand. He's told me the idea of typing up the letter on his computer is making him anxious.

My question is - would it be an ethical violation if I typed it for him? I wouldn't change anything, I would have him approve the final product, and I would keep his handwritten letter in my files. Then I would submit it electronically.

But I do not want to do anything shady.

The other option is to have him mail in a handwritten letter. At first I dismissed this idea, thinking it would look unprofessional, but my mentor (not the same person) told me he actually thought it would stand out in a positive way. He said there aren't many handwritten LORs anymore and it could make a good impression.

I've looked for formal guidelines on LOR ethics and haven't found very much. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Can you do handwritten letters and send them into LSAC? Would they photocopy it or something?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I don't think you can submit an LOR by youself. Recommenders have to create their accounts on LSAC.org and upload them by themselves. You can't view your LORs.

In your case, I think your recommender should submit by postal mail. You first add your recommender's information to your account and print out the prefilled LOR form. And then you can give the form to your recommender. The form will be barcoded with your information and your recommender's information and contain instructions on how to submit by postal mail. He can snail-mail his LOR to LSAC with the form. LSAC should be able to add his LOR to your account.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Agree with above - have them send it in , don’t want to risk it

• Claire Z.Claire Z. Alum Member
    116 karma

I knew you all would have good advice. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Is it important to waive the right to view the letter? I've heard of that before but don't know much about it. I've heard some applications make you check a box that you waived your right to see the letter - is that true? How much does it matter?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Claire Z." said:
    I knew you all would have good advice. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Is it important to waive the right to view the letter? I've heard of that before but don't know much about it. I've heard some applications make you check a box that you waived your right to see the letter - is that true? How much does it matter?

This question is discussed at the end of this lesson:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/lor-logistics/

I recommend taking a look :)

• Claire Z.Claire Z. Alum Member
    116 karma

Will do. Thanks very much!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

If you can waive your right, do it. It definitely matters.