Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing admission material for each school.

ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌

I am currently applying for Law School and notice some schools have slightly different requirements. Harvard allows for two pages resumes- Yale doesn't. Columbia and Duke want specific things in your Personal Statement, others don't. Chicago wants hours worked on your resume, Penn makes no such requirement. Obviously you should do what they say, but how drastically are you guys noticing your materials change from school to school? Should I alter slightly for each school or change drastically? Just interested in opinions.

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Good question. For the resume, I am planning to do the lowest denominator so that I can just submit the same thing for as many schools as possible, since resume doesn't really matter too much. But yeah, for columbia and duke, you might want to adjust your PS to include a bit about "why x". It sounds like it'll be something that will set you apart.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

I wonder if it's ok to just write a generic PS and then a more specific Why X... I think it would be difficult to incorporate anything specific to the school in your PS without making it seem like a disjointed final paragraph or random sentences throughout that don't quite mesh with the overall PS topic.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah I think it makes much more sense to personalize the why x and not the PS. I used the same PS as much as I could last year, but there were a couple schools that it didn’t really fit the prompt. Not gonna lie, it’s all a pain in the ass lol. I re-used as much as I could, but a lot of stuff just had the be fresh for each school.