Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Georgetown Optional Essay

mew41195mew41195 Alum Member

I am pulling my hair out over GULC's optional essay prompts. Anything I come up with feels forced, lame, or like it doesn't add to my overall application. I know they are optional, but GULC is my top school, so I'm fretting a bit over what it might (subconsciously) mean if I don't feel motivated to write one -- they're just so funky! I'm done with all of my other applications at this point so I'm just trying to figure this out... For reference:

1. What is the most important thing you have changed your mind about?
  2. Give us your top ten list.
  3. Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Describe your most interesting mistake.
  4. Fill a 5 1/2" long by 2 1/2" wide box in any way you'd like.
  5. Prepare a one-minute video that says something about you. Upload it to an easily accessible website and provide us the URL. (If you are using YouTube, we strongly suggest that you make your video unlisted so it will not appear in any of YouTube’s public spaces.) What you do or say is entirely up to you. Please note that we are unable to watch videos that come in any form other than a URL link.

If anyone has any tips or examples they've read, feel free to pass them my way!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Having spoken to numerous admissions people at different schools, I believe that a real struggle they face is getting a sense of who an applicant is from the formulaic responses to standard application questions and data points. To me, it sounds like GULC is giving you a prime opportunity to give them a peek behind the curtain as to who the "real" you is. As it is your top choice, I think you should welcome the opportunity. Additionally, given the nature of the prompts, you have to know they expect some responses that are not standard. That's the whole point. I would not be concerned with how I felt it came off or if it didn't fit to some carefully constructed narrative that I tried make all of my application materials fit into. The important thing should be just to be present something genuine and sincere. As an attempt to help, here is my top ten list of things that immediately came to mind for me when I read your post:

1. Top ten podcasts on my iphone right now.
    2. Top ten movies I have seen.
    3. Top ten books I have read.
    4. Top ten sporting events I have watched (in person or on TV).
    5. Top ten running races I have participated in
    6. Top ten triathlons I have participated in
    7. Top ten parenting moments I have experienced
    8. Top ten husband moments I have experienced
    9. Ten most commonly visited websites on my laptop
    10. Ten most watched videos on my youtube feed.

Whatever you write about, good luck!

• mew41195mew41195 Alum Member
    159 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    Having spoken to numerous admissions people at different schools, I believe that a real struggle they face is getting a sense of who an applicant is from the formulaic responses to standard application questions and data points. To me, it sounds like GULC is giving you a prime opportunity to give them a peek behind the curtain as to who the "real" you is. As it is your top choice, I think you should welcome the opportunity. Additionally, given the nature of the prompts, you have to know they expect some responses that are not standard. That's the whole point. I would not be concerned with how I felt it came off or if it didn't fit to some carefully constructed narrative that I tried make all of my application materials fit into. The important thing should be just to be present something genuine and sincere. As an attempt to help, here is my top ten list of things that immediately came to mind for me when I read your post:

1. Top ten podcasts on my iphone right now.
    2. Top ten movies I have seen.
    3. Top ten books I have read.
    4. Top ten sporting events I have watched (in person or on TV).
    5. Top ten running races I have participated in
    6. Top ten triathlons I have participated in
    7. Top ten parenting moments I have experienced
    8. Top ten husband moments I have experienced
    9. Ten most commonly visited websites on my laptop
    10. Ten most watched videos on my youtube feed.

Whatever you write about, good luck!

Thank you so much! This was helpful - I actually stole one of your ideas ;)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I haven’t opened their app yet and lol @ the fill up a box question. I wanna answer that one with something ridiculous

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@oshun1 said:
    I haven’t opened their app yet and lol @ the fill up a box question. I wanna answer that one with something ridiculous

Is it weird that my first thought on that one was... I'd fill it with mac and cheese. Lol. No reason besides that it would make me happy haha. Yes, I have the eating habits of a 6 year old.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@oshun1 said:

Is it weird that my first thought on that one was... I'd fill it with mac and cheese. Lol. No reason besides that it would make me happy haha. Yes, I have the eating habits of a 6 year old.

I was thinking cute lil kittens but realized that might make someone get creepy serial killer vibes

• jfar2688jfar2688 Alum Member
    6 karma

I am doing the top 10 list as well, should it be double spaced?

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

Maybe I am crazy, but I wish every law school would have optional essays like this. A great way to stand out!

• ramonaramona Alum Member
    17 karma

Im totally going to make a video-- I wonder how many applicants do it?