Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What should I wear to a admissions visit.

keeganhowe2keeganhowe2 Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 11 karma

I will have several school visits coming up. What type of attire is considered proper when touring a school and talking to the admission committee? Any advice?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Depends on what state. For California I wore a nice blouse with leggings pants and dressy sneakers since I was walking all day. I had a blazer and a coat in my bag but it was really hot. For other states maybe the same but with comfortable loafers. For guys a button down and dark jeans or whatever is in between jeans and dress pants. I’m gonna be honest and say that no one important will remember you and certainly won’t remember what you’re wearing and it really doesn’t matter what you’re wearing as long as you’re not wearing sweats and a band tee.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Smart casual. Smart so that you look presentable, but casual so that you're comfortable. It's important to be yourself, since they want to see who you are, of course, unless you are an unpresentable slob. In that case, don't be yourself, lol.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It depends a bit on the school and climate - as @oshun1 mentioned, CA can be hot and also those schools are a bit more relaxed, in Southern California at least. But, you can't go wrong with the above suggestion - button down, dark jeans, or like khakis... not necessarily dress pants. Dressy/smart casual. Sneakers or something comfortable is ok if you are doing a tour since you'll have to walk a lot, but preferably something still nice-ish. Not dirty, worn down tennis shoes. Just look presentable and a bit polished, but don't worry about a blazer or tie if you don't want to. Suit is definitely not necessary.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Echoing the above, I rocked blue slacks, a polo shirt, and leather shoes (i.e. business casual) for visits in SoCal and in the midwest. I received tours from students in shorts. Aim for nice and professional, but not over the top formal.