Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LORs and Postponing

Hello! Apologies if this has already been asked before but I could only find this (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/12545) discussion and I was hoping for some clarification from someone else who's done this.

I had plans to apply last cycle, but I decided to wait a year. I informed my professors who wrote and submitted LORs that I'd be waiting a year and one even said he'd be happy to update the letter closer to when I apply (and I'm sure the 2nd will when I ask). I've heard it both ways about whether to reuse a year-old letter, but I'd rather not take any chances.

I was wondering what steps I need to take to get updated letters when I already have letters from said professors in my LSAC account? (aside from reaching back out to my profs, ofc) Do I need to delete the letters in my account and request them again from each professor? Is there anything I need to do differently this time? Is there anything I need to instruct my professors to do, or will the email from LSAC provide the same instructions as last time? Am I just overthinking things? :D

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

I was wondering what steps I need to take to get updated letters when I already have letters from said professors in my LSAC account? (aside from reaching back out to my profs, ofc)

Click on "Add/Edit Recommenders" (or something like that) on your LSAC LOR page, and change the number of letters from each recommender. The LSAC should forward your request to him or her.

Is there anything I need to do differently this time? Is there anything I need to instruct my professors to do, or will the email from LSAC provide the same instructions as last time?

I have no idea about the LSAC email (because I have yet to write a law school recommendation letter so did not have a chance to look at it). But your recommenders have no need to update anything.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@FixedDice Thank you! I just wanted to know in case my profs ask any questions. :smile:

So when I edit the recommender in my account, it's default to "1" letter right now, so all I need to do is change it to "2" and they'll get notified through email? (of course I'll do this after asking them.)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@FixedDice

I was wondering what steps I need to take to get updated letters when I already have letters from said professors in my LSAC account? (aside from reaching back out to my profs, ofc)

Click on "Add/Edit Recommenders" (or something like that) on your LSAC LOR page, and change the number of letters from each recommender. The LSAC should forward your request to him or her.

Are you sure about this? One of my letter writers found an error in his letter after submitting and when I called LSAC, they said I needed to add the new letter as if it were a totally new letter. I couldn't change the number of letters for him as you describe.

861 karma

@NotMyName Thanks for commenting! I think that's the route I'll go then.

• LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
    126 karma

I'm applying for next year's cycle but I told half my recommenders I'm applying this year before I decided against it. Although, I can't see how a letter from a year ago would necessarily have a negative effect on my application. Can someone explain why/if the letter should be dated most recent to the date applying?

• LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
    126 karma

Update: I just clicked on the original poster's link and apparently my question was asked there already. So it doesn't seem like a year-old letter would make a difference. Let me know what you guys think anyway.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@NotMyName said:
    Are you sure about this? One of my letter writers found an error in his letter after submitting and when I called LSAC, they said I needed to add the new letter as if it were a totally new letter. I couldn't change the number of letters for him as you describe.

This was the procedure an LSAC representative explained to me. I received an updated letter a month ago via this process.

861 karma

@lolsat__ said:
    Update: I just clicked on the original poster's link and apparently my question was asked there already. So it doesn't seem like a year-old letter would make a difference. Let me know what you guys think anyway.

I don't think it's a huge factor compared to other parts of the application, but I spoke to one of the the admissions directors at a school I'm applying to and they made it seem like they prefered an updated date. I know it's only a year but I'm I'm paranoid :lol: