Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Study Guide

One of the issues I had with LR was how quickly I had to change gears from one question to another. The test tries to mess with you as it asks similar questions and tripping you up is what the test writers are trying to do. I had to come up with a way to remember all of the different types of LR questions so I could recall quickly what was being asked of me. I 'borrowed' from both the 7-Sage lessons and the Powerscore books to make this basic study sheet. It is a breakdown of the similar question types, what makes them similar and a definition of the individual types.
Hope this helps.

LR STUDY SHEET

1. THE MUST BE OR PROVE FAMILY
    -Information in the stimulus proves that one of the AC’s is correct
    -Accept the stimulus 100%
    -Any information in the stimulus that does not directly or indirectly appear in the Stimulus = Wrong Answer
    MBT/MSS- Best proven by the information in the stimulus
    Main Point- What is the primary conclusion (similar to MBT ?’s)
    Point at Issue/Agreement- Find point of contention or point of agreement between the speakers.
    Method of Reasoning (MOR)- Describe in abstract terms the way the author made the argument.
    Flaw in Reasoning (Flaw)- Describe in abstract terms the error in the authors reasoning.
    Parallel Reasoning/Parallel Flaw- ID the AC that contains reasoning most similar in structure to the reasoning presented in the stimulus.

2. HELP FAMILY
    -Assisting or helping the authors argument or statement somehow, possibly by revealing assumption of the argument or by resolving a paradox or some other way.

- The information in the stimulus is suspect., there are reasoning errors- you need to help shore up the argument.
- The AC’s are accepted as given, even if they have ‘new’ information. You need to determine which AC best meets the? posed in the stem.
Assumption- ID the assumption
Justify (The Conclusion)- Supply a piece of information that when added, proves the conclusion.
Strengthen/Support- Provide support or strengthen the authors argument in some way.
Resolve the Paradox- Find the AC that resolves or explains the discrepancy or contradiction.

1. WEAKEN FAMILY

- Hurt Family, Attack the authors argument
- The stimulus is suspect. Often there are reasoning errors. Need to further weaken in some way.
- The AC’s are given, even if they include ‘new’ information.
- Determine which AC best attacks the argument in the stimulus.
Weaken- Find the answer choice that attacks or undermines the argument.

1. DISPROVE FAMILY

- Use the information in the stimulus (accept the stimulus) to prove that one of the AC’s cannot occur.
- The correct AC will directly disagree with the stimulus or a consequence of the stimulus.
~Cannot Be True- ID the AC that cannot be true or is most weakened based on the stimulus