Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I handwrite my recommendation request or is that extra?

Bob LoblawBob Loblaw Member
edited October 2018 in General 108 karma

I want my recommendation request to be more personal than an email, especially since I have not seen my professors in over a year (and in one case, have not kept in contact since graduation). I was thinking of handwriting a request, and then waiting about 2 weeks for a response before I check in via email.

I would say something along the lines of "Your course ___ really resonated with me, and I was very appreciative of your time and support throughout undergrad... I hold you in extremely high regard and it would mean so much to me if you would consider submitting a rec letter for my application to law school. If you would like more information, please email me at ___ and I would be happy to forward you my resume and any other relevant documents."

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

I would suggest email just because there is that time constraint and unless you pay for tracking you won't really know whether they recieved it or not. You can always offer to meet up in person or talk on the phone if they want to make it more personalized. Generally, profs are busy anyway so try to make the process as efficient for them as possible. You can always send a personalized thank you letter by mail after they've submitted their Lor.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

I agree with @keets993