Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NYU AnBryce Scholarship Essay

rachelzanerachelzane Alum Member
edited November 2018 in Law School Admissions 30 karma

Hi everyone -
I'm in the process of finishing up my application materials for this cycle. I'm planning to apply for NYU's AnBryce Scholarship program. The prompt for the essay is to talk about a personal obstacle, how you embody attributes of an AnBryce scholar in overcoming the obstacle (giving back to society, making a positive impact on the world, etc.), and how you'll use your legal education to promote the ideals of an AnBryce scholar. I basically wrote about a very personal event (a nonconsensual video taken of my legs/thighs on the subway) and how this traumatizing event, rather than letting me down, inspired me to help women facing gender-based violence. I went on to mention how I want to pursue a legal education in public interest to continue helping underrepresented groups. I wasn't sure if the adcom at NYU were looking for something more along the lines of a social/economic obstacle (e.g. overcoming financial hardship or facing discrimination of some sort)? If anyone has advice on the AnBryce essay, and whether I'm on the right track in terms of topic, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would argue that sexual harassment is a social obstacle- it might not have prevented you from getting a job or something like that, but it prevented you from feeling safe in your everyday life. I think it's a great essay topic and it sounds like you're on the right track

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

PM'd you :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think it sounds like a solid topic. But I'd also recommend checking out the forum at lawschool.life. There's a thread there on all things AnBryce and at least 1, maybe 2, prior AnBryce recipients that answer questions.

• rachelzanerachelzane Alum Member
    30 karma

@MissChanandler Thanks! I agree - that's a great insight that you point out.

@"Leah M B" Thanks for directing me to this forum, it was helpful reading comments from other AnBryce applicants.