Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

December retake advice-- NYU and RTK scholarship.

amd_003_123amd_003_123 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 23 karma

Hi there. I received my Sept LSAT score (167) last night and scored substantially lower than my prep-tests (avg173). I knew walking out of the test that my score would be lower as I screwed up the timing on my RC section pretty substantially and ended up rushing through the last passage, barely reading and answering the questions. My top school is NYU -- I was planning on applying ED and for the RTK scholarship. I am going to retake in December, but this eliminates the opportunity to apply ED and for the RTK scholarship ( I think?).

I guess I'm wondering if there are any other options-- is there any point in applying ED with my Sept. LSAT score and allowing my December score to come in later? Or is it possible to apply to the RTK scholarship with a Dec LSAT score (the application is technically due Jan 1st. but Dec. LSAT score release date is Jan 4th).

Applying as early as possible is something that has been emphasized so much by advisors that I guess I'm feeling apprehensive about a December retake, but I am confident that I can raise my score by at least 3 pts.

Any Advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• appletreeappletree Member
    27 karma

I had the same question.

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

What kind of public interest law do you want to practice/what is your public interest background?

• appletreeappletree Member
    27 karma

I emailed the NYU Admissions Office and received the following response:

Those taking the December LSAT will be considered for our programmatic scholarships as long as the online JD application and all other supplemental scholarship materials are submitted by the January 1st deadline. LSAC will automatically update your file with your December LSAT score once it is released.

If you have submitted all required components of our application and have at least one reportable score on file, your application will be considered complete and will be automatically forwarded to the Committee on Admissions for review. If you are registered for a future LSAT at the time that you apply to the JD program, this future test date will be visible to the Committee. It is at the discretion of the Committee to determine whether or not to proceed with a review of the application for additional information such as a new LSAT score. Any information you submit, including material sent after your application is complete, will be considered by the Committee on Admissions if received before a final decision is reached on your application.

Applicants who not applying for our programmatic scholarships and are just applying for admission to the JD program must submit their completed applications no later than February 15.

• amd_003_123amd_003_123 Alum Member
    23 karma

Thanks for this, good to know.

• I also spoke with NYU admissions regarding this scholarship. They said that as a courtesy, they typically do not complete a final review until the future test date score is posted. But your September score is better than my June one was, and I would say from the numbers that you stand a pretty good chance as is. Good luck!