Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Decision Columbia and Does Re-applying hurt chances

Hi all, I'm considering applying early to Columbia Law School with the idea in mind that my chances are very low. Columbia Law is my dream school and, though my LSAT score of 165 does not make my chances too high, there were occasions where people in my range did get in, so I'm betting my chances on that.

Brief background, I'm thinking of retaking the LSAT next year and would really begin applying next year as well. I am not planning on applying to other law schools this year, and applying to Columbia Law early is somewhat of a whim, with the thoughts that if I get in, fantastic! If not, I'll just apply again next year.

I've read through several posts on whether re-applying hurts my admission chances and it seems as though the consensus falls in "depends on the school." My questions, so, are as follows:

1. Would re-applying to Columbia hurt my chances compared to first-time appliers?
  2. Do you think my plan of applying early to Columbia (sort of a "make-or-next-year" sort of plan) is okay?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

There are a few factors to consider. Is scholarship money an issue to you? I'm not familiar with Columbia's ED program, but I typically don't recommend EDing any school that doesn't have a significant guaranteed scholarship for ED. The odds are high that if you were accepted ED, you would be paying full sticker price. Some people are comfortable with that... I wouldn't be, though.

That said, as for your specific questions... for 1, likely no. But, the consensus is pretty much correct that it depends on the school.

As for 2... I think your plan is fine if that's what you really want. However, if you're planning on most likely applying next year anyway, why not wait and raise your LSAT, thereby giving you a better shot at Columbia and for more scholarship money? I think that'd be a wiser choice. You don't seem to have an urgent need to start law school if you already have a back up plan.