Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test day warmup: do at home, in car, or at the center?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
in General 1755 karma

Hey all,

So I've heard ppl do warmups before the test. The January 2019 test is 8:30am.

Questions -

1. What should the warmup consist of? I've heard of ppl do entire LR sections for a warmup.

2. Where and when should you do the warmup for a 830 test? Should you do your warmup at home at like 730am, finish at 8am, drive over to test center (15 minutes), and get there by 820ish, and then just wait till 830 for the test room to open?

-- I would think it would be hard to do a warmup at the test center because many of the classrooms are closed off.

Any advice or suggestions on how to best mimic/approach test day would be appreciated. I've never sat for a real administered LSAT (so all of this is very new), and so I want to be as prepared as I can.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

The best method is going to vary per person, so I would recommend trying different warm up variations before you do a PT at home. See which one makes you most confident and gives you a sense of swagger going into the PT.

For me I printed out a 1 star logic game and also one that gave me a lot of trouble early on. I had seen both of them before and used them to get my brain in inference mode. The 1 star game I solved very quickly in around 4 or 5 minutes, however, the harder game I took my time and solved for all possible worlds. There were around 25 different worlds and solving for them gave me lots of confidence right before the test. I did both of these games around 8:00 AM in the parking lot of the test center.

I also printed out the first page of an LR section that I had seen before and did them very quickly. This helped calm my jitters. I had a lot on my mind the morning of the test but warming up really grounded me and gave me a ton of confidence walking into the test center. Play around and find something that makes you feel like an LSAT wizard after completing it.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I wouldn't cut it so close to the actual test time. Also, make extra time for a bathroom run beforehand.

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

I did my warm ups in the car so I didn't have to worry about getting to the test center and being late.

I picked two games (1 easy and 1 I struggled with when I started foolproofing), 10 diverse logical reasoning questions, and 1 RC passage. I also brought a key with me just in case something didn't click and I started to panic.

I thinking picking questions you've seen before (but don't have memorized) is a great way to get your head in the game.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

gotcha - thanks so much! @xenonhexafluoro @"Lucas Carter"

so you guys both did your warmups in the your car at the parking lot of your test center?

was it uncomfortable doing it inside a car? like did you put the paper on your lap? and it looks like the warmup took around 15 minutes?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I did 1 easy game, untimed, at home. Took a prep test book with me and after I parked, sat in the car and just read through some LR questions.

You don’t want to stress yourself before you get into the test. The goal is just to wake up your brain and get you in the zone so you don’t feel like you’re going in cold.

I also highly recommend taking a brisk walk after you get up. It’s important to just have the blood flowing. It helps to wake up your brain and get your mental functions moving.

My test day morning looked like this:

Wake up 6:30. Get dressed and ready. Go for 10-15 minute walk. Make and eat breakfast (scrambled eggs, banana, toaster waffle with peanut butter, green tea), sit down and do easy game. Leave house at 7:30, arrive test center at 7:45. Park, sit in car and read through some LR questions for around 10 minutes. Inside the test center by 8am. Went to bathroom, walked around test center to kill time, went to bathroom again at 8:25 to be safe. Check in began at 8:30.

Note: once you check in, you CANNOT use the restroom until the break. It also took around an hour to do all the housekeeping stuff before the test began. So you likely won’t get a bathroom break for close to 3 hours. Make sure to go right before you check in to be safe.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

The sages in this podcast talk about what they did leading up to the day of the LSAT:
    https://m.soundcloud.com/user-737824810/8-the-week-before-the-lsat-how-to-manage-nerves#t=48:09