Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chance me

OvercomerOvercomer Free Trial Member
edited January 2019 in General 96 karma

Hey everyone, I was wondering what my chances at the T-14 are? I also don't mind going to a tier 2 school on scholarship. Also would shooting for a school ranked from 20-30 be more beneficial than attending a regional school where I know I want to work. I see people putting so much emphasis on schools in the T25 or T30, but I don't mind going to a school ranked in the 50's that's in the state I want to work. I want to stay in the NY/NJ/(maybe PA) area. Outside of the T-14 there aren't many decently ranked schools in this area. Any suggestions on schools I should be applying too? I also want to apply to schools that will give me nearly a full ride.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

Although sites like the following don't tell the whole story, they are a great place to get a decent feel for where your cycle might end up:
    https://7sage.com/predictor/
    Others might chime in with personal/anecdotal evidence, but the stats on the predictor page are going to right now be your best approximation.

With that being said, my recommendation would be to consider a possible retake. A few more points on the LSAT might swing things. Ultimately that would be a decision you make, but it would be my recommendation. Let's say you can increase 5 points: 3.2/166 and you ED next cycle at Cornell with a perfect application, you've got a decent shot then. If you want the scholarship side of the choice of schools more, 5 points will probably make a decent difference there also.

Best of luck moving forward
    David

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

Check your numbers on Law School Numbers

• OvercomerOvercomer Free Trial Member
    96 karma

@BinghamtonDave Thank you for the advice. However, retaking is not an option for me and I'm happy with my score.

96 karma

Please anyone else, I would truly appreciate more advice.

96 karma

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

Hey! If you have the resources I would apply to any of the T14 that you have an interest in. URM cycles are wildly unpredictable, so you should shoot your shot :smile:. Powerscore released this article last year on URM stats and admissions. I hope you find it helpful

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjGpoX51K_fAhWiSt8KHVcpDN4QzPwBCAM&url=https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-underrepresented-minority-urm-applicants-have-a-law-school-admissions-advantage&psig=AOvVaw3NjvcbhXvuBZ_Ctr7J12Vs&ust=1545438435936922

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

The UGPA is really the thing that’s pulling this down. I would say that a 161 is not completely unheard of, especially at some of the the schools in the bottom fourth of the T-14 for an AA, but 3.2 is hard to pitch when it is combined with it. I’ve seen AAs with lower GPAs get into places like UVA or Mich with named schollies, but that was coupled with a 171 and some good softs (for example). As someone said, these things are unfortunately unpredictable to a considerable extent. I also think that the URM “bump” can fluctuate in the context of a given cycle (this cycle’s looking pretty good, though).

Anyways, you shouldn’t let all of this stop you from applying. I guess “shoot your shot” has (oddly) made its way from positive advice for approaching girls at the bar to submitting law school apps. In any case, as someone said earlier, if you could crack into the upper 160’s it would be very helpful as far as T-14 aspirations go. Good luck!