Anyone experiencing a decline after their first diagnostic ? I appreciate some advice

cnguye15cnguye15 Member
edited December 2014 in December 2014 LSAT 64 karma
I scored 157 on my first diagnostic 3 months ago (prep 25) (not totally cold because i did study a bit 2 years ago but decided to get a master first). I've spent 3 months, studying non-stop (no work, up to 50 hours a week some times). My score staying pretty much the same (with one pt a low 150s for prep 59 and highest 163). My LG improved a bit from -11 to -5 on average. My LR and RC are getting worse. I used to get -5 on RC, now is around -8 to -10. My LR used to be -10 to -12 at the beginning and now is like -20 to -23. I took the dec test today and ended up canceling the test, because of the RC and LG. I am going to spend 6 more months to prepare for the june 2015. People that I know have improved their score 5-10 points with full-time jobs. I don't get what went wrong with my study. I did a lot of drilling in the cambridge package for LR. But under time condition, the techniques I learnt for LR and RC often conflict with my instincts.
I still have preps 46-73 fresh (except 59, 72, 57, 62), about 24 prep tests. I used lots of other tests for individual sections. I have taken about 10 full-time practice tests so far. How should I utilize those tests in the next 6 months to maximize my score? What should I do to improve my LR and RC scores? I feel like I do have a potential to hit 170 but don't know where I actually went wrong. I studied the most for LR and LG for past months. If anyone experienced the same thing but managed to overcome that difficulty, I am happy if anyone can share their experience. I would appreciate.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    well first of all relax! it sounds like you are going real hard and ur brain needs some time to recoup! make sure u are Bring properly(I like to BR the entire test, circled and uncircled q's)
    "I still have preps 46-73 fresh" older tests are different, so since ur retaking I guess thats good, but when ur going for the test u want to be ready for that tests experience
    " the techniques I learnt for LR and RC often conflict with my instincts. " drill baby drill... you want to make these techniques ur instinct!!!! you want to look at a question and dissect it and know what to look for as ur actually reading it...

keep working hard but remember to relax and take some breaks and you'll be fine... think of working out, you go hard in the gym you'll get huge, but if you go hard 8 hrs a day no day off you very well could hurt yourself rather than help
  • SapphireSapphire Alum Member
    289 karma
    thanks @jdawg113. I was having the same problem and no I feel as though I'm just hopeless because i want to reach a 165 at least by February, but idk if it's possible. I'm so depressed right now. How many days would you suggest to space out before retaking another preptest? I havent touched lsat prep in two days and i feel so guilty...... im usually studying 10-12 hours a day
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    if 165 is what u need to be happy just hold off if ur not there. esp at Feb test applying is iffy so might as well hold off till june if ur not ready... if ur ready for Feb then go kill it but no need to take just to take and really hope ur PT scores were lies.
    plenty of people take a week off after so no need to rush back into it. 10-12 is crazy lol (I work FT so ya lol) make sure you have breaks in there somewhere and a full day off every week... and if some1 asks to go out just go! its good to get ur mind off. I would also suggest dropping the hours down a bit on at least 1 day
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2014 2116 karma
    It's natural to score lower on your first PT after your diag. I just took one of those standard live prep courses and the majority of people scored lower on the second PT than the first diagnostic. It can be still due to you getting used to the strategies to attack the questions in a timely matter. Don't worry, you'll do better on the next PT.
  • SapphireSapphire Alum Member
    289 karma
    thanks guys!