Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fire Alarm Went Off During December Test (and why we can't have water bottle labels EXPLAINED)

carson.dennycarson.denny Free Trial Member
edited December 2014 in December 2014 LSAT 38 karma
Fire Alarm went off during Section 3 (not experimental) in room and all of building. Extremely loud and lasted for over 5 minutes and less than 10 minutes (exam continued normally). This definitely adversely affected me.

Now, I had planned to make a 177+ as I've taken 33 consecutive practice tests (timed with experimental) and am consistently scoring in that range. With the fire drill, I think I still score around and above 170, but perhaps not by much. I don't know whether I should report the issue and/or lobby for a new test, or if the latter is even an option.

Any thoughts / similar experiences? "Be happy with 170+" isn't what I'm looking for, by the way.. It makes a difference.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    you can submit a TC complaint and LSAC will ask if you want to cancel you score or not and will hold ur score until you decide (believe it can cause delay even if you keep) but does not automatically cancel score... also think you might get a free retake if canceled?(they would obviously confirm your complaint) not 100% on that part
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    Definitely report the issue, but know that LSAC will only allow you to cancel. I think @jdawg113 is right that if you complain enough they'll allow your next retake to be free if you cancel. If you keep the score, you'll have to pay for a retake. If money isn't an issue, I wouldn't cancel on the off chance that it didn't phase you as much as you think it may have.
  • _FIDELIO__FIDELIO_ Alum Member
    98 karma
    @carson.denny sorry this happened. pretty inexcusable considering the magnitude of this test. IMO LSAC should compensate you for the cost of the exam regardless if you choose to cancel it. I also feel that on top of this they should offer you the next exam for free. You woke up early, spent your hard earned money on gasoline and then your performance was jeopardized because of quality control issues within the testing center itself. LSAC picks the locations of the testing centers and they are responsible for making sure it's right.
  • AislingzAislingz Free Trial Member
    74 karma
    Complain to LSAC so you can take the next test free of charge (hopefully). If you have been consistently scoring around 177 on 33 tests, then you can bet that you will score very close to that on your retake. Also, some top schools still average LSAT scores so you want to take that into considerations. If you keep your Dec score and take another LSAT, then your scores will be averaged by some schools. In this case, cancelling the Dec score might be a good option IF you are ABSOLUTELY sure that you can get around a 177 on your retake. And of course it makes a difference. A 177 could mean a full ride to the law school of your dream.
  • carson.dennycarson.denny Free Trial Member
    38 karma
    Lol I didn't score a 177 on all 33. I have been on the last 8 or so leading up to the test. Thanks for the great advice guys!!
  • JudyyyyyJudyyyyy Alum Member
    136 karma
    The LSAC needs to set out more rules for the proctors to follow rather than concentrating solely on regulating the students writing the test. Ridiculous.
    2654 karma
    its not LSAC's fault stuff happens, you can't control something like that, and they give you the option... if you truly think it messed your score up you can retake for free, thats practically giving you money cuz you can study longer :P or you can keep the score, it'd be silly to give you money or free take if you keep your score
    edited December 2014 98 karma
    @jdawg113 no I don't see it that way. It is LSAC's fault because they set the the QC for administration of the exam. They could just as easily do it GMAT style where everyone signs up at a specific time/date and takes there test in a cubicle whenever they're ready. If the OP decides to keep his/her score and this incident is fully documented, IMO they should still refund his/her money for having to deal with this bull shit to begin with. An analogous example is going to the movies. If I spend $20 on popcorn and a drink and then people are loud in the theater and I can't enjoy the show I should not only be given a full refund for the ticket cost, but also I should be given a refund on the purchase price of the popcorn and drink (as I bought it with expectations of eating and enjoying it watching the film where no one is bothering me). Also I feel they should give me passes to the next show for free as I A) had to deal with this issue to begin with, B) took time out of my schedule (time is money) and C) used my own coin for gasoline, again with complete expectations of there being NO problems and enjoying the show. I don't look at this from the POV of being "entitled", just from a business perspective of rectifying a bad situation gone wrong where ultimately THEY (LSAC/Cinema) are in fact responsible.
    38 karma
    Follow Up (From Original Poster):

Guys,

Something else weird happened. In the middle of the test (3rd section, post fire alarm), I suddenly had a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and it was one of the proctors, who (politely) informed me that when I cross out an answer choice, I need to only make one line (presumably because it was making noise).

A little background information: I was an LSAT instructor for Kaplan for many years (began while a junior at Duke) and I, like JY, and like all of the test course curriculi, advise students to mark out answer choices completely.

My response to the proctor was a very apologetic "I'm so sorry!" and I did exactly as he requested, but it completely threw me off because I had used this strategy for 8 months (I completed tests every Saturday since April, i.e. 30 straight Saturdays and 3 additional days, hence 33 Practice Tests). It also made me feel embarassed, and looking around wondering if someone had complained, etc. It's bizarre because the last thing I would want to do is distract another student, but keeping your pencil moving is one of the hallmarks of a high scorer test taker, and it's like, am I being told my pencil is too loud in the building where the fire alarm just went off for 8 minutes???

Anyway just venting and thanks for your support and thoughts. :)
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I wasn't allowed into the test room until I ripped off the brand label on my water bottle. I re-read the rules to see if there was any mention of that and saw nothing. Perhaps I'm mistaken? Has this happened to anyone else?
    2654 karma
    well that is also ridiculous carson and you should have kept doing what you do, its not their future its affecting.

I would absolutely not expect to be refunded my popcorn & soda $ bc of inconsiderate people and I'm generally cheap with stuff like that. yeah you should be offered a refund of ticket and maybe a future ticket but I don't find that analogous really. that is a service they are providing for entertainment and want you to come back. LSAC is administering a test that you will hopefully not return for. absolutely any building you have a test in a fire alarm could go off, someone could get up and walk out, someone can refuse to comply to a rule... you know how you felt during the disruption, if you feel it affected you negatively you cancel and retake free. if you accept the test as it was and keep the score that is your decision knowing the sides of both options. If they were to do what you suggest just think of all the possibilities. a perfect solution isn't really plausible and this is LSAC's best bet of not throwing money at everyone who has an issue. they give you two options and you know the consequences of both
    135 karma
    I'm with @jdawg113 that it's out of LSAC's control. You can't blame them for external factors. Just like you can't blame a movie theater for obnoxious patrons. That idea honestly baffles me, but, hey, that's the millennial mentality right? Now, I agree that LSAC and the TC should work together, but something like a fire alarm is unavoidable.

OP, that sucks the proctor told you to not cross out your answers. Good for you for being polite; I don't know if I would have been able to keep my cool haha. Definitely call LSAC tomorrow and report the situation, find out your options regarding cancelling/retaking, and decide based on that. If you can only retake (for free) if you cancel, then I would probably cancel. If you can retake for free without cancelling, which I doubt, then I'd probably keep the score.
    135 karma
    @Al, yeah I'm pretty sure I've read that you can't have labels somewhere. I think there was a movie once where a character cheated using a water bottle haha. That's the only reason I can think of. :P
    @carson.denny sounds like overall a really bad situation you were in. Hard to believe out of all test takers the proctor approached you like that and in the middle of a section to boot? I would have told to guy to have a warm cup of STFU.

As an aside, your post has me kind of anxious. If you don't mind could you tell me the testing center you were at? PM me if you feel more comfortable. Reason I ask is that I was planning on taking it in the Durham/Chapel Hill area.
    edited December 2014 38 karma
    I definitely agree that the GMAT is a much more pleasant and risk-free experience (from personal experience - I have my Master's in Finance and took the GMAT in South Korea). They give you noise cancellation headphones, scratch paper, and the timing is completely automated through a computer. Because I finished several sections with plenty of time left, I was allowed to leave and go to the restroom/stretch, etc.

As far as the water bottle thing is concerned, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic to that, so let's try to give them ten reasons:

(1) They don't know what's in your bottle if they can't see through the label. It could be the "special drink" in Space Jam that helped the Tunes defeat the Monstars. On the other hand, the special drink turned out to just be water (like you, they had it in them all along!). On the other hand, you have five fingers.

(2) The LSAT can't tolerate you NOT having water (or any illicit substance) in your bottle. They need to ensure you are hydrated for several reasons, one of which is apparently needing to run from, or put out, a fire.

(3) LSAC will not tolerate you performing product placement to potential law students.

(4) Law students and potential law students are particularly competitive. You wouldn't want a cut-throat fellow student to roofie you to try to break the curve. Being able to see if the water is clear eliminates many possible harmful substances, though not all. I hear drinking Moutain Dew Baja Blast instantly brings down your IQ by 14 points. (I still drink it).

(5) It's common knowledge that if someone turns the Deer on the Deer Park label to 3 o'clock, the answer to number 27 in the Logical Reasoning section is definitely C. It's not technically cheating since there's never 27 questions for LR, but the LSAC admins are sticklers here.

(6) Let's be honest, we can't all afford Fiji (side note, I can). LSAC knows this, and in order to foster culture inclusivity, without other students feeling inferior, they cannot allow students to showcase their purchase power via water bottles. But in my heart of hearts, I know that my square bottle made it crystal clear (get it?) that I was the best person in the room.

(7) Who can forget the Dasani cheating scandal of February 1992? It was just weeks after Tonya Harding put out a hit on Nancy Kerrigan's shins (the key to lying is specificity...)

(8) Only if there is no label will we not be uncertain that there isn't a magical genie in our water bottle that is granting our wishes by giving us the answers. They even used that exact wording in their proposal. The ultimate irony is that genies always find ways to undermine their masters, so LSAC really has our best interest in mind with this one.

(9) LSAC realizes that throwing in a random nonsensical rule or two will give us something to think or talk about that muddles the actual issues that pop up, like fire alarms, bad proctors, and the occassional but not-so-occassional poorly worded question.

(10) They just needed to make up another rule to exert authority and cover themselves in the name of fairness and due diligence.

Now that I've written all those, I've convinced myself. Shame on your for thinking you could bring in your water bottle label!

PS What's extra bizarre is that the water bottle stays in your zip lock bag under your desk anyway. PPS mine said Kroger. PPPS One point that hasn't been mentioned is that no one in the room, including the proctors, moved a muscle either to turn off the alarm, or at least ensure that there isn't a fire that we should be running from.
    38 karma
    fidelio, I took the exam in Atlanta.
    I guess the one big assumption that we've all missed is whether or not this was a false alarm? Seems to me if the fire alarm went off they'd make everyone evacuate the building (think preschool). Did everyone stay seated? Did they add additional time on to the end of the section?
    38 karma
    no additional time, no pause, no nothing. Everyone just acted like it wasn't happening.
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    ^i would've done the same tbh. Fire alarms are unfortunately so commonly ignored in college/on campus. I would've ignored it, too.

Also, your water bottle label reason list is absolutely hilarious.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    How dare you badmouth Mountain Dew Baja Blast?! Everyone knows that The Holy Drink sends peoples' IQs soaring, as well as making them incredibly handsome during the period of consumption. You are officially out of the family. OUT OF THE FAMILY.

On a more serious note, I'd definitely complain, but the LSAC isn't likely to do much for you. They kind of can't do anything satisfactory, if you really think about it - they're not going to bump your score up for free and you won't be satisfied with any other resolution, including getting a free test (because let's be honest - that doesn't solve anything). Regardless of the outcome of your complaint, you should also write an addendum to your application to explain what happened. I would not cancel the score if you're looking to apply for this cycle, and probably wouldn't cancel regardless.
  • tsamvelyantsamvelyan Alum Member
    431 karma
    Aside from all the BS that happened to me and the unfortunate 40 some students in my group, we had church bells go off like 5 times with 5 minute intervals.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Yeah the water bottle thing really threw me off. I didn't expect that. Not to mention, I had a bloody thumb since I hacked at my own hand with my keys trying to get the label off. :(
  • tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@"carson.denny" said:
    I definitely agree that the GMAT is a much more pleasant and risk-free experience (from personal experience - I have my Master's in Finance and took the GMAT in South Korea). They give you noise cancellation headphones, scratch paper, and the timing is completely automated through a computer. Because I finished several sections with plenty of time left, I was allowed to leave and go to the restroom/stretch, etc.

As far as the water bottle thing is concerned, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic to that, so let's try to give them ten reasons:

(1) They don't know what's in your bottle if they can't see through the label. It could be the "special drink" in Space Jam that helped the Tunes defeat the Monstars. On the other hand, the special drink turned out to just be water (like you, they had it in them all along!). On the other hand, you have five fingers.

(2) The LSAT can't tolerate you NOT having water (or any illicit substance) in your bottle. They need to ensure you are hydrated for several reasons, one of which is apparently needing to run from, or put out, a fire.

(3) LSAC will not tolerate you performing product placement to potential law students.

(4) Law students and potential law students are particularly competitive. You wouldn't want a cut-throat fellow student to roofie you to try to break the curve. Being able to see if the water is clear eliminates many possible harmful substances, though not all. I hear drinking Moutain Dew Baja Blast instantly brings down your IQ by 14 points. (I still drink it).

(5) It's common knowledge that if someone turns the Deer on the Deer Park label to 3 o'clock, the answer to number 27 in the Logical Reasoning section is definitely C. It's not technically cheating since there's never 27 questions for LR, but the LSAC admins are sticklers here.

(6) Let's be honest, we can't all afford Fiji (side note, I can). LSAC knows this, and in order to foster culture inclusivity, without other students feeling inferior, they cannot allow students to showcase their purchase power via water bottles. But in my heart of hearts, I know that my square bottle made it crystal clear (get it?) that I was the best person in the room.

(7) Who can forget the Dasani cheating scandal of February 1992? It was just weeks after Tonya Harding put out a hit on Nancy Kerrigan's shins (the key to lying is specificity...)

(8) Only if there is no label will we not be uncertain that there isn't a magical genie in our water bottle that is granting our wishes by giving us the answers. They even used that exact wording in their proposal. The ultimate irony is that genies always find ways to undermine their masters, so LSAC really has our best interest in mind with this one.

(9) LSAC realizes that throwing in a random nonsensical rule or two will give us something to think or talk about that muddles the actual issues that pop up, like fire alarms, bad proctors, and the occassional but not-so-occassional poorly worded question.

(10) They just needed to make up another rule to exert authority and cover themselves in the name of fairness and due diligence.

Now that I've written all those, I've convinced myself. Shame on your for thinking you could bring in your water bottle label!

PS What's extra bizarre is that the water bottle stays in your zip lock bag under your desk anyway. PPS mine said Kroger. PPPS One point that hasn't been mentioned is that no one in the room, including the proctors, moved a muscle either to turn off the alarm, or at least ensure that there isn't a fire that we should be running from.

Not sure how I even wandered this far back in the discussion boards, but this ^^ is beautiful!

I have a few additional points in defense of all-knowing LSAC's wise policy of water bottle labellessness.

(11) If you can't see your water, then it can't see you, a la ostrich with head in the sand. And if your water can't see you, how will we know whether or not we're truly living in the Matrix?

(12) Chuck Norris said we should only drink Aquafina during the LSAT, put LSAC can neither ignore his commands nor blatantly endorse a single corporation, this was the only compromise.
    PS. Chuck Norris was unhappy with the arrangement, which explains why LSAC hasn't been seen in over 30 years.

(13) They're worried about people taking adderall before the LSAT, it is common knowledge that you can't take adderall if your water bottle has no label.