Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having problems with pure grouping games (notation ideas)

ShrilarauneShrilaraune Alum Member
in Logic Games 169 karma

Hey fam,
So I've been going over logic games, realizing that I've been having trouble doing new grouping games/grouping games I've never seen under timed conditions (as in, under the 7sage suggested time). This post is one part general advice request (please help, I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I haven't picked up on anything in my recordings aside from the fact that I'm not making inferences quickly enough), one part specific advice request.

Specific questions: I've been taking note of not both rules with logic. It's a hold over from in/out games and I also find it helpful for some games (Like PT18 game 1). But then there are other games (like PT26 game 3) that I am sure would be easier if I noted the many not both laws as blocks. My questions is, how do I choose between the two? Rule of thumb says, choose one and be consistent, right? Part of me is tempted to just go with whatever works. But in that case, how do I know which notation to pick when I'm setting up the game?

I know that some people are thinking, "just keep drilling, you'll figure it out." But I could really use some help seeing some patterns.

Please and thank you

Comments

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

One thing I've noticed is important to catch in grouping games is the distributions.
    After reading the rules, I immediately make a not of how many can fit in each group. This has become more important in some of the recent tests that have more fluid group memberships where the LG stimulus doesn't automatically say 3 people go in group1 etc.
    I hope that helps at least a little.

• ShrilarauneShrilaraune Alum Member
    edited January 2019 169 karma

@MindyKale This is actually uncanny. I literally just had this realization a moment ago. As I was reviewing a recent take, I noticed a certain type of error I was making on grouping games, and that led me to realize that instead of just noting the possible distributions down, I should connect them to specific groups (by writing them near the group name). Usually there is at least one group that is super limited or has to have just two or one, or whatever it is. And that serves as an anchor.

Thank you so much for responding! This gave me a HUGE confidence boost!