Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Study Approach until March Exam

Phyxius1Phyxius1 Member
in General 55 karma

Hi 7Sage Community,

Was hoping to get advice on my study plan between now and the March LSAT.

I work full-time (830-5) and have been recently taking 2 tests a week (one on Saturday and then usually one on Monday). I BR the Saturday test on Sunday and the Monday test throughout the week day nights. Candidly, I am a bit selective in BR process (because I feel time constrained) which I know will likely get some criticism from the community- ie. if I get less than 2 wrong on a passage I will quickly see where I went wrong without BR'ing the whole passage (I also do this for games).

On a 4 section test, I just hit my target score of 165 fully timed for the first time. I have had issues properly timing myself in the past (adding a few minutes to each next section) which is a bad habit that I have now broken. I want to hit my 165 score a few more times before March 30th and perhaps do a bit better than my target score.

I scored the 165 on PT 58
Section 1 LR (-6), Section 2 RC (-4), Section 3 LG (-4), Section 4 LR (-4).

RC has been a HUGE problem for me in the past (-8 usually), but I have been drilling hard passages which has helped a lot. I drilled 5 star LGs last year, but do not remember them (and any benefit from that has now worn off) or 5 star LR questions (my hardest ones are NA and Flaw).

My question is should I cut down the weekly test amount from 2 to 1 and focus on continuing to drill RC, LR and LG (and maybe BR one test inside and out/week vs. 2 in a more condensed fashion) or should I keep going down my 2 test a week path. I will take off the second week before the exam so worst case scenario I do the drilling at that time (but I would not have the benefit of the practice for the majority of my PTs between now and the March test). My big issue is still timing- for example the questions I get wrong in LR I usually do not have time to do properly- I have only recently broken my bad adding time habit which is why doing more timed tests has been focus (despite not having the time to review them onerously). Additionally, in the month of March I will introduce the 5th section of the exam to my PTs where I will be making the 5th section count each time (to test stamina; again this is another reason why I have been focusing more on the art of test taking and timing at the expense of some BR benefits- really hard to quantify what that trade-off is).

Any feedback is appreciated and welcomed. Thank you #help

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Your best bet is to search the discussion forums for similar posts in the past. I think questions like this get asked after every test, and some great responses are available if you search them up.
    My assessment would that that your core competency is satisfactory, and it is now time for refinement. So I suggest changing what your admit will get you criticism, and really drill down on why you get 1 or two questions wrong. I find that people in the 160's range will continue to get the similar style of questions wrong, because those are the weaknesses that got through after the lessons. Use the analytics under the 7sage "Resources" tab to find trends. Be really critical and systematic, and write down exactly why you got each answer wrong, and how you will prevent yourself from making that mistake in the future in a notebook. I also suggest forming study groups and take PTs and do BRs together. This will help you guys be realistic and honest. For the last week or two, focus on timing strategies. Do timed sections, not whole PTs, but do whatever you have to do, skip however many questions you have to skip, in order to finish each section before the 5 minutes remaining mark. That's how much leeway you have to give yourself, because on a real test, you will slow down a lot.
    Hope this helps. Good luck~