Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool Proofing LR

Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
edited February 2019 in Logical Reasoning 652 karma

Hi all,

Finished fool proofing LG (highly recommend to those that still haven’t done so). Man that helped!

I’ve posted this question before, but got some mixed answers.

I want to make sure that I am going about this the correct way before settling down to grind again.

For fool proofing logical reasoning sections would I go about it in a similar way to the “Pacifico method” that worked so well for me in LG?

Meaning print off some more recent, but not too recent logical reasoning sections and do one section timed, then review/ BR same day after a break, repeat the section timed the next day and review again, and then review the following week?

Interested to see if others had a better way of increasing their score! Any tips help.

Thank you!

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hi! Your posts are always so helpful and I hope that we get more help on the LR sections.For the Logic Games, did you just foolproof from 1-35 or what did you do exactly?

For the LR- I think the first step that is helping me is to just make sure you are completely 100% solid on the CC. I feel like I struggled with Flaw and NA, so I went back and just tried to understand those completely. Then, I am going to drill those specific question types just to make sure that I am going in the right direction. Then, I think the "Pacifico method" may be helpful, but I haven't tried it yet. I think it would be better to go from older to newer depending on how much time you have, but it is your choice. I think I would jump around a bit just to see how I score. I would do a LR section timed and then BR after a break. I'm not necessarily sure how helpful it would be to repeat it again the next day because I feel like we would be just memorizing it at that point. Do let me know if that is helpful though. I think just getting through the LR sections timed, and then doing a thorough BR will be helpful. Ofcourse, we can always repeat them later. Please let me know what works best for you though and I will love to try it out.

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

Have you heard of cookie cutter review? This thread has a solid intro: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/18937

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

@Princess I fool proofed 1-35 using the method that Pacifico suggested on here a while back. I printed out 4 sets of the same logic game, did one timed, then BR'd it, did it again the next day timed, then did a week later timed.

That method helped me really understand how to tell the differences between each logic game set up. I used to struggle with not realty knowing which one to lead with, but now it seems so simple why would I NOT use this one. Go figure I guess.

Based on searching through threads and reading messages sent to me, mastering LR is on a case by case basis. Which I am going to assume is the same for RC.

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

I'll be keeping up on this thread

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

I think the principle behind fool-proofing LG actually works really well for LR and probably RC too, to a lesser extent (just because I think comprehension of a passage is sometimes hard to forget as easily as LR questions or games).

I have a bit of a weird prep pattern, but anyway for LR I've been "training" in the 40s and 50s PTs, and while I know retaking sections means inflated scores, I think 1) "foolproofing" them brings improvement in the most cookie-cutter questions like easy flaw questions, role, main conclusion, MBT, and SA, and 2) are really good for practicing timing techniques/strategy without burning through new material. I've only recently started to focus more on RC, and here I find that while foolproofing is beneficial (for some of the same reasons of knowing what to look for in passages and just overall familiarity), it's a little less so because I can remember what parts of the passages were important to focus on.

One huge thing I'm working on these days in the later stages of my prep is that one drawback of foolproofing is that you don't get as much experience in dealing with on the fly crises or just having a procedure for what to do when things go wrong. For games this is especially true, but even for LR I think in foolproofing you get accustomed to feeling comfortable, and so you don't get to practice the more real scenario of seeing things you've never seen before and reacting to them in the most efficient way. So if you're early in your prep, it might be good to plan ahead and decide how many tests you want to practice/foolproof through, and leave a considerable chunk of fresh tests for you to then practice the actual take once the fundamentals and strategy are in place.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

The question bank tab on 7sage is a wonderful place to foolproof LR and RC IMO. I regularly go through questions missed and print them out through the shopping cart function on the tab. That way, without knowing the credited answer choices, you can foolproof LR by forcing yourself to practice pattern recognition. Hope this helps.