Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

October vs. November LSAT

itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
in General 272 karma

I'd like to apply to some T-14 schools and since my GPA is in the low median range (and I have poor study abroad grades), I need a high LSAT for my raw numbers to be considered anywhere near competitive. Obviously, getting my applications in early hugely increases my chances of admission. This would be my first attempt at the exam and because I'm already taking a year off between graduation and hopefully starting law school, I don't want to have to take off another year because I f***ed up and took the exam too early. Is it better for chances of admission to apply earlier with a potentially lower score or later with a potentially higher score?

Comments

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Hmm, I think it a lot of cases it depends on the scores itself. Could you give us a better sense of your timeline and how far along you are in your studying?

• 246 karma

@itsemmarobyn said:
    I'd like to apply to some T-14 schools and since my GPA is in the low median range (and I have poor study abroad grades), I need a high LSAT for my raw numbers to be considered anywhere near competitive. Obviously, getting my applications in early hugely increases my chances of admission. This would be my first attempt at the exam and because I'm already taking a year off between graduation and hopefully starting law school, I don't want to have to take off another year because I f***ed up and took the exam too early. Is it better for chances of admission to apply earlier with a potentially lower score or later with a potentially higher score?

Later with a higher score within reason. A 160 in September vs.a 163 in December and I would prefer to be the December applicant every time. However applying at the very end of a cycle with an LSAT 1 point higher may not be better.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

A lot depends on what the exact scores are. A higher score that gets u above median is significantly more valuable than a slightly lower score that puts u below median for a early app. This is because USNEWS rankings only counts medians into their calculation and thus becomes what schools mainly care about. If both numbers are below median, then you're going to need to retake anyway for a good shot, regardless of how late the app is (barring super strong softs). I suggest taking as long as you need to max your LSAT score.

• itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
    272 karma

@hawaiihi said:
    Hmm, I think it a lot of cases it depends on the scores itself. Could you give us a better sense of your timeline and how far along you are in your studying?

I'm studying from mid May all the way through to November (or October depending on which exam date I choose). I'll only be working around 16 hours a week until then.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@itsemmarobyn Then I really do think it makes a lot of sense to, at this point, wait and see. You still have a lot of time between May and September to study, see how your progress goes, see how you're PT'ing, etc. For example, some people find that they progress really fast and could potentially even take the July sitting, in your situation. You can make the call as you get closer--there's no need to stress now!

In the meantime, since you're not started studying yet, I would recommend at least beginning to think about your application materials since that'll make it easier to apply closer to receiving your scores. For example, if you've already graduated, it's not hard to work on getting a copy of your transcript sent to LSAC, contact recommenders, write up your resume, etc. That's all stuff that can slow you down or that you forget you have to do once you're ready to apply and can end up pushing your completion date further away.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

It's pretty far off to decide on the difference of a month's studying. If this is your first attempt, I would actually plan on taking it Sept with Nov as a back up. Many people get shell shocked their first attempt. Additionally getting your score back and having a couple week turn around time is rough. I'd take it Sept if it your first time. Have Nov as a back up. And even have Jan as a back up for that. When it dawns upon you how each extra point changes the money you get and where you get in, you will be tempted to retake (unless you get maybe a 172+)?