Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radio Silence from Admissions

Hey Peeps,

I applied to eight schools in mid-December (which from my understanding seems to be around the halfway point of the cycle) and so far I've only heard back from two (currently a 1-1 split decision). Three of the outstanding schools have updated the status of my application to "under committee review" or something equivalent since, but another three have not updated my application status since the "application complete" stamp in December/early January.

As the season for bargaining on financial aid is approaching, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to move the needle on this — sending a letter of continuing interest or an email to admissions, perhaps? Additionally, given the point we're at in the admissions cycle, should I essentially write off those that haven't put in an update since December as a lost cause? Interested in hearing your feedback!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Honestly, I wouldn't freak out yet. A lot of schools (especially as you get higher ranked) take a couple of months to get back with you. Generally, the consensus seems to be that you shouldn't send a LOCI just because they're taking a while. Only contact them if 1) you have something to add to your application (such as a significant resume update) or 2) you've been waitlisted.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

It would be fine for you to call the target schools who haven't made final decisions, ask to speak with an admissions officer, and tell them you are checking in about the status of your file. If you have a deposit deadline approaching for one law school, you can let them know that you have this other deadline but you remain very interested in this target school for reasons A, B, and C (make sure you have those reasons and can get those across in the conversation). Be very polite and professional. The more likable you seem as a candidate, the more they will try to help you. Try to establish a conversational relationship with the AO as he or she may be a helpful contact for you as the cycle wears on. You are your only advocate, and the more the school knows about you, the better for you. Follow up that call with an email reiterating the important points from the conversation. Don't just write off the schools that haven't responded yet. It is a fact that they WILL make a final decision at some point. Good luck!