Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble seeing flaws

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member

I'm trying to improve on seeing the flaw in the premise but I can't seem to break the glass ceiling here. I can do the 1 and 2 star ones pretty well but my problems start to occur at 3 stars and up, and I end up going to the AC's blind which is not the right way to go about it. The easy cookie cutters I'm decent at, but ones like PT58.S1.Q18 give me fits because I can't quite "See it."

Any tips for helping to see it? I've been at this for a couple of years on and off so it is not a "I haven't seen enough", but rather I know its my approach mentally. Just would like a fresh perspective. Thanks!!!

Comments

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

I've approached flaw questions quite differently recently and I feel like it all comes down to asking yourself why the premises don't follow the conclusion. Asking yourself where the gaps are and whether you could bring up an alternate conclusion to weaken it/or counter the author in any way. For me, POE works the best on the ones that I don't just "see" right off the bat. Also, when going thru answer choices, I ask myself whether the choice is descriptively accurate and if not quickly eliminate. On BR, I extensively go thru each answer choice and try to envision an argument that would be making that flaw, even if it's not the correct answer for that particular argument. Also, maybe try drilling flaw questions and on the ones you get incorrect, write out a parallel argument with the fallacy and structure out the premises/conclusion to better grasp the reasoning and why it's wrong. I've tried that and it definitely allows me to better understand and get better at seeing what the apparent flaw is.
    Hope that helps!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@jasminesade Thanks for the response! I have been trying to incorporate that more and writing out my reasons why the wrong AC are wrong and the right one is right. I guess it is just going to take time to re-calibrate my mind to think this way. Just frustrating on the harder-ish ones where grammar starts to hide things.