Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

March LSAT: What to do?

Norm ChowNorm Chow Alum Member

I'm taking the March LSAT this upcoming Saturday (3/30) but I'm nowhere near ready for the exam. I started studying in January and overestimated how much I could do while working FT and have only completed about 75% of the core curriculum and about 4-5 PTs (I started to try and do PTs since I was fast approaching the exam date).

I'm averaging about 159 on my exams and can get up to 166 on BR (mostly because I can do LGs perfectly untimed but during the timed section I get anywhere from -5 to most recently -9). I don't have enough time to improve my score but I figured since it's my first time taking the test, I should still go and do so. However, should I worry about getting a score that is not reflective of my true ability? I know you can omit the score but I don't know how much it matters since it's evident schools don't average anymore.

Help is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2019 23929 karma

I don’t think there’s an objective answer to this. I was told not to take the test until I was ready. That was solid advice. However, I scored a few points lower than I think I would have if I had experienced the real thing beforehand. So you might get something out of taking it before you’re 100% ready.

That said, you say you started studying in January, haven’t finished the CC, and you’re no where near ready. So that’s a different story...

I would personally recommend postponing. I just don’t see what the upside potential will be taking it before you’re anywhere near prepared.

For only having done 75% of the CC and a handful of PTs, it’s clear to me you have the ability to score very well on this test. And while schools may not average tests scores, there’s nothing helpful about a low score on your record either.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would also recommend postponing, unless your goal score is around 160. Note: there's absolutely nothing wrong with a goal score of 160, it just sounds like from your post you're hoping to get up to where you're BRing. If this is the case, I don't see much of a benefit to taking. I'm not sure what you mean by "omit" your score. You can cancel your score, but only before you receive it/know what it is. If you don't cancel your score before you receive it, then law schools will receive it when you apply no matter what. While schools don't average anymore, there is also no benefit to having a score that you don't like on file.

• Norm ChowNorm Chow Alum Member
    34 karma

Thanks both! I looked up my options on postponing but it seems I would have to still pay the full cost of the exam...

Since this wasn't a small investment, I will likely take it for the experience and consider canceling my score instead.

• elizabethosei718elizabethosei718 Alum Member
    84 karma

I am in the same boat @"Norm Chow" !

34 karma

@elizabethosei718 haha I learned my lesson about procastinating on studying...

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

I was in a similar boat as you. Take the test, it will help to build character. Sign up for the September exam to give yourself some more time. September will also give you enough time to apply for early in the cycle. Best of luck!

34 karma

@"Jonah Chadwick Griego" , thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, how did you do your first time and what was the improvement?

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    231 karma

@"Norm Chow" said:
    Thanks both! I looked up my options on postponing but it seems I would have to still pay the full cost of the exam...

Since this wasn't a small investment, I will likely take it for the experience and consider canceling my score instead.

I would never cancel it unless you have something catastrophic happen -- it might be a very good score and since when you apply schools only look at the highest anyway, just take the test, see how you do, and if you take it again in the future no big loss either way.

34 karma

@kpj744___ that's really helpful, thanks!