Finishing Core Curriculum - What's Next?

OnTheLevelOnTheLevel Alum Member
in General 26 karma

Hello 7Sagers! I've finally finished the core curriculum. I'm torn as to what I should do next. Should I A.) start taking full length PTs and BR them, B.) Work through some drilling materials to refresh materials like LR I haven't touched in a few months, then start taking timed PTs and BR, C.) a combo of both establishing a baseline with a post core curriculum PT score and working with drilling materials in weak areas, or D.) full proof for the next month on games before beginning full length PTs? Thoughts and advice on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• 615 karma

I would say foolproof games and untimed LR by Q types + untimed RC, for at least a month. I felt like I had pretty solid understanding of the things right after CC, and took timed PT. to only find out I didn’t know a thing. So maybe doing one timed PT(30’s or 40’s) could help you understand what you should do. But I’d say some drilling and foolproofing would be essential before timed PT phase.
    There’s also a webinar on post CC curriculum on resources page, I can’t remember it on top of my head, but think that’s the one with three phases.

• 246 karma

@OnTheLevel said:
    Hello 7Sagers! I've finally finished the core curriculum. I'm torn as to what I should do next. Should I A.) start taking full length PTs and BR them, B.) Work through some drilling materials to refresh materials like LR I haven't touched in a few months, then start taking timed PTs and BR, C.) a combo of both establishing a baseline with a post core curriculum PT score and working with drilling materials in weak areas, or D.) full proof for the next month on games before beginning full length PTs? Thoughts and advice on this would be much appreciated.

I think mixing in both is fine, but I would emphasize the importance of blind reviewing. It really allows you to hone in on your weak spots. You probably have an idea of where you might be struggling now, but taking full length PTs and Blind Reviewing will totally highlight it. Practice good BR habits too. When I first starting BRing I would often glance over the right answer to something I got wrong and tell myself, "Oh yeah I see it, definitely won't get that wrong next time", but I didn't really focus on WHY I chose the wrong answer. The correct answer is almost always going to be obviously right when you see it, but figure out what made you pick the attractive wrong answer. Spend tons of time understanding the underlying reasoning and truly master the question. If you don't understand the underlying fundamental reasoning in a question, then go back to the CC and hit that material again. I think this combo is pretty great for tackling LR. For LG I liked to just randomly take a day maybe once a week and just attack dozens of games. I found this method very helpful and firmly believe that LG dominance really only comes by doing and redoing a ridiculous amount of games. Ultimately you need to just figure out what works best for you and stick to it.

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

There was a similar discussion a couple days ago: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/136814

And here's the link to the Post-CC Webinar: https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

I would say continue foolproofing games, but also begin to foolproof games as entire sections rather than individual games. As for LR, I think focusing more on untimed work before reaching a really high BR score is necessary before you can really reap the benefits of timed practice -- keeping a google doc of questions you get wrong and writing out explanations would be really good. For RC (something I neglected for way too long) I would say untimed is really helpful because you can understand the mechanics of what they're actually testing you on, and then you can apply that understanding under timed settings (what should I read for, when should I look back to the passage, etc.)