Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learning from Specific Questions

Tori SheberTori Sheber Member
edited April 2019 in Logical Reasoning 77 karma

Does anyone have advice on how to actually apply what you're learning from specific questions to similar questions on other tests? I feel that I really do have a grasp on the CC, I understand conditional logic, etc. And when I get a question wrong, I'll go to the explanation and it makes sense to me. But then I take my next PT and I'm consistently missing Flaw, RRE, and Para questions (among many others). How can I best learn from drills and reviews of PTs? Is there some other study method that I'm missing? I'm really sick of getting these questions wrong.

I've heard a lot of advice about taking notes, but I feel that my notes are all specific to the question...

Thank you!

Comments

• gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
    126 karma

When I was working through the CC, I would drill by question type using the PowerScore workbook that sorts LR by type. My drills had 15 questions or so - if I didn't get all 15 correct, then I'd do another 15, and so on.

Try to strip away detail and find structure. Reduce arguments to their skeletons and you'll see that so many stimuli are saying the same thing, just gussied up differently. For example, you'll always come across questions that make a conditional statement about a person/place/object and then draw a conclusion about a different person/place/object by flipping the conditionality - the answer is always "mistakes a necessary condition for a sufficient condition." Doesn't matter if it's talking about how all teachers are good with children or how all cats love fish or how every car in Townsville is red, the structure is the same.

For what it's worth, the muscle memory I associate with LR did not come to me while I was amidst the CC - it came afterwards, once I was knee deep in PTs and BRs, because once you're taking 1-2 PTs a week, you'll find the patterns.