PT2.S2.Q4 - Dried grass clippings mixed into garden soil

vernicelove-1-1-1vernicelove-1-1-1 Live Member
edited May 2019 in Logical Reasoning 30 karma

What's the difference between AC "D" and "E"?

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• Qualia88Qualia88 Alum Member
    175 karma

You need some answer choice that explains why dried grass clippings have this beneficial effect that fresh ones do not. Answer Choice D offers that in that they kill beneficial bacteria. Answer Choice E provides further context but it still doesn't address what is about fresh grass that's a problem.

• mzthaidumplingmzthaidumpling Alum Member
    edited May 2019 83 karma

We have two situations:

dried grass clippings ->better-than-average plant growth
    fresh grass clippings->poorer-than-average plant growth

In general for RRE questions, if two elements are presented to be similar (grass clippings), but have different results, we can anticipate that the correct AC will show how these elements are different.

We want to reconcile why dried grass is beneficial but fresh grass is not.

D. Reveals an element where the two grasses are different. Unlike dried grass that decomposes gradually and thereby provides nutrients for beneficial soil bacteria, fresh grass decomposes rapidly and creates heat that kills beneficial soil bacteria. This explains why one has one result, and the other has an opposite result. They decompose differently.

E. Is out of scope. If dried grass equals a good result, and fresh grass causes a bad result, E is saying dried grass and fresh grass together causes a bad result. How does that explain why dried grass alone is bad? It doesn't.

Example: Adding this generic ketchup to my pizza results in deliciousness. However, adding organic ketchup to my pizza makes it taste disgusting. Why is that? What is up with my organic ketchup?

E is saying adding both generic ketchup and organic ketchup makes it taste worse. So what?

Hope that helps :)