PT25.S2.Q10 - Insects can see ultraviolet light

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Logical Reasoning 274 karma

Hi guys,

I want to make an argument and delete LSAT 25, S2, Q10 from the problem set because the answer choice is poorly written.

Without diving too deeply what the question is saying, it is about some spider webs that emits UV and conclusion is that the insects get attracted because of the pattern.

Naturally, after reading the question, the weakest spot from the argument that I had naturally draw without reading the answer choices has to do with this specific pattern and maybe it connects with "food or mating".

And the answer choice E, which is the correct answer choice because it proves that okay insects are attracted to the UV. But that is entirely restating the premise. The answer choice is made correct because we got A, B, C irrelevant and answer choice D being 180. SO answer choice E, which doesn't do anything that sort of just rephrase the premise, being the right answer.

Please let me know how you feel. And if you feel that the answer choice certainly strengthens I be very honored to hear your reasoning because I just don't see how answer choice E is different from confirming the premise and the gap still leaves untouched.

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

I think you misunderstood the flaw in the argument, which is that just because UV light is correlated with attracting insects (for mating or food or whatever) that doesn't necessarily mean that there's a causal relationship. The argument is saying that UV light is what draws the insects to the spiderwebs, when it could really be something else in the webs -- smell? color? etc.

E helps fill that weak point by showing more evidence for such a causal relationship.